Contour preventive maintenance

Have a 99 V6 / automatic Contour with 85000 miles on and plan on taking it on a 10,000 Mi Roadtrip Any thoughts about preventative maintenance??

Thought about replacing the alternator and water pump...

Already changed out the automatic transmission fluid with synthetic, breaks replaced about 10,000 miles back and recently changed gas and air filters.

Reply to
Joe

IIRC, there's a common problem on that 2.5 V-6 with water pump impellers. You could do a google search on it. At the same time, I don't think I'd go to that much more trouble on a car with the miles yours has. If you're not having trouble with it, or any cause to suspect a weak part, leave it alone.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

There is a problem with the impellers, but only earlier models (97 or 96 and earlier).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for clearing up my weak memory.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Just don't rev the snot out of it, and the impellers hang in pretty good. First time you hit 6 grand, it's gone. Could let go sooner. Mine let go the first time I really lit into it (at about 6000RPM). I put in a new pump with a cast impeller - no more worries.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca