Dealer service necessary?

Page 2 of 3

I agree!! But sometimes it's still too late.
bamp
Hmmm, let see. I go to the dealer, wait for a service writer. He takes a boatload of info. He then hands the car over to "lot boy". Lot boy takes the car to the service rack after one has finally opened up. Service is performed, service manager calls me or walks over to me and tells me about all of the other things I must have done (same thing happens at Gypy Lube) I tell him "No Thank you". He goes back. I wait some more as he gets around to releasing my car to the waiting lot. Lot boy is summoned. Car is driven to storage lot. I'm called over PA. I go to service area and am redirected to cashier. Cashier hunts up my paper work. I pay. Cashier calls for Lot Boy. Lot boy drives car to front so as not to incur liability of me driving through staged cars. I finally get my car. I have to reprogram radio away from tortilla stations. Elapsed time, 1+ hours on a good day. Cost, $35.00 basic fee. $2.00 disposal fee. Tax $2.88. Total....$39.88 for 5-20 wt. dino juice and a filter.
Now, Wal-Mart. I go to Wal-Mart and drive up to service bay. Man comes out and takes info....very short list. I ask for 5-20 Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. I leave keys and go shop. Thirty minutes go by. I return. Car is done. I go to cashier. Cashier reaches behind counter and pulls up bill. I pay, am handed keys and I go. Total time, 45 minutes plus I got other shopping done..win/win scenario. Cost: $29.00 basic fee. (disposal fee figured in) Tax $2.39 Total...$31.39 for Mobil 1 and a filter.
So, I can't imagine using the dealer for an oil change. However, if it came to having my hybrid car's electrical service checked......that goes to the dealer and I endure the fleecing.
There must be honest dealers and shops out there. I know we have one in Santa Paula at the Ford Dealer there. However, that's 60 miles away from me. Power Ford in Valencia is most definitely not customer friendly and in fact, has been dishonest with me on two separate occasions. I use them only as a last resort.
Power Ford....new (5 year prorated) battery $85.00. Installation, $25.00 Tax, $9.08 total....$119.08 cf. Wal-Mart New battery with 10 year warrantee non-prorated for first 60 months $58.00 tax $4.79 ...installation...$0 Total....$62.79 Add to that that the battery that was replaced was the Wal-Mart battery and it was in perfect condition and less than 4 months old. Wife did not know this and "trusted" the service writer. Ford had no comment other than "their tech tested it and it would not take a charge" I placed it on the bench at home, put a charger to it and it was fully charged in under two hours. (low charge was due to a faulty alternator which was being replaced under warrantee) That was 6 months ago. Since that time it has been in my Ranger and works perfectly.
The point of all of this is simply this. Some things are a better value at an indy shop, others must be done by a factory service rep. All repair shops need to be watched closer than you watch your daughter around the town lothario.
--
R. J. Talley

Agreed, and well put. I find the notion that the "minimum wage earning loser will cross thread my drain plug" mentality is alive and well. I think I read about it somewhere so it must happen all of the time.
I would suggest you go to another dealer. here in new jersey, it takes 15 min for an oil change at toms ford in Keyport, and costs $27.95. at the jiffy lube down the street, they charge $37.50, and try to sell you everything ,plus the moon and stars.

the
$35.00
dino
filter.
go
came
me.
fact,
warrantee
old.
charged
shops
Re: Dealer service necessary? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Apr 21, 2005, 4:06pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com
What part of 'Most dealerships now offer fast lube, lower cost, service as well and the don't use re-refined oil,' didn't you understand ;) mike hunt<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Most? There are six Ford dealers within a 20 mile radius of where I live, none of them offer a "quick lube" service.
OTOH there are at least 12 "quick lube" places within that same 20 mile radius that I can go into and get the oil change service in 20 minutes for less than $20, most with the oil being poured from individual brand name containers.
In all my years (50) of useing "quick lube" service I've never had a problem. What part of "It's an oil change, not brain surgery" don't you understand?
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

That's not true of the Honda Dealers. Non-hybrid work on the hybrids can be done by anybody in the shop.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

I guess the consensus is that i'd be an idiot to get an oil change and a filter check at JiffyLube.
I'd be very surprised if the Ford dealer doesn't have my filter inspection, oil change, and tire rotation done by a high school dropout. Maybe he has had a high school dropout trained on hybrids...
I'm new here, so I don't know who is who, but I appreciate all the comments. -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Jiffy Lube doesn't appear to have a service outline for Hybrids. Even with an outline they make costly mistakes and don't rate high in my idea of quality service.
Bill

As Jeff said, having oil changes and other maintenance performed by a company other than the dealer is fine, BUT Jiffy-Lube ??? NOT A CHANCE EVER!!! I wouldn't take a car I was selling to Jiffy-Lube let alone one I wanted to keep. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, but if I didn't, I would want someone with some hands on automotive experience to do the simple stuff on my car, not some kid who isn't even qualified to take your order at McDonalds.
If you want to have the work done somewhere other than the dealer, please try another true auto shop, not a ZIPPY LUBE.

Why? How difficult is it to change oil, considering they can get under your car in seconds? My only concern would be the quality of oil that was being put into my vehicle if I was using it from the large drums. As long as I'm getting my new oil from a sealed container, it makes it easy and efficient for me.

Evidently quite difficult, I know personally of three occasions where one flavor or another of the local "zippy lube" has destroyed an engine due to their incompetence. you would be damn lucky if they did put the right fluid in the right place.
The first, Jiffy-Lube did the oil change on my co workers wife's Toyota and she left, evidently she was totally oblivious, she drove down the interstate pumped out all her oil and continued until the engine seized. Turns out the monkey at Jiffy-Lube cross threaded the oil filter (how the hell do you cross thread an oil filter). That day the manager of the Jiffy-Lube was very apologetic and agreed to pay for everything, then the Jiffy-Lube corporate office stepped in and said they would take no responsibility, and pay nothing.
The second and third occurrences were both cross threaded or stripped drain plugs, that ended up loosing the oil and damaging the engines.
Most businesses have some desire to produce a quality "product" while they make their money. Not Jiffy-Lube, their incompetence is by design, not default. they want to make the most money they can, not the happiest customers.
Generally the most knowledgeable guy in the place couldn't tell you how to find top dead center on your number one cylinder if his life depended on it.
NO THANK YOU, I'll take my car to a place that knows something about what they are doing.

Small claims court would fix that.
Even something as simple as an oil change can be botched badly and end up costing hundreds of times more than the meager savings. We have all heard the stories of the fast lube joint kid who forgot to tighten the plug. Here is a different twist, from personal experience. A few years ago I purchased a used Grand Marquis in 'mint' condition. Even though the engine oil looked clean, I proceeded to change it right away. One little problem: the plug refused to turn. When the 250 lb-ft setting on my largerst torque wrench still wouldn't move it, I was bracing for the worst; like on most newer cars, the engine has to come out of the Grand Marquis in order to remove the oil pan. Finally, an impact wrench did the trick. To my utter amazement, I did not find any damage -- something good to say about Ford's design of the 4.6L V8 oil pan! I don't know who was the last one to tighten that plug, but they must have thought that its purpose is to hold the car together...

your
being

Yep. Gotcha.
I forgot that any quick oil change franchise will automatically botch the job, while dealership service employees couldn't possibly make a mistake.
Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.
I don't have any affiliation to either side and have used both.

If the filter is easily inspected by the owner then it shouldn't void your warrantee. Just keep a service record. Take a notebook, record the date, odometer reading, service done, and attach any applicable receipts (parts if you did it yourself, or a work order if it was done by a shop).
I made a warrantee claim for piston slap in a vehicle of mine. They needed to see proof that proper maintenance (oil changes) were done. I showed them the service record, and that was good enough for them. Maintenance doesn't have to be done by the dealership, but it does have to be documented.
As for getting Jiffy-Lube to do it... I'd only let them change my oil if I were in a squeeze, and I'd do so under careful supervision. They probably would have no knowledge whatsoever about your hybrid system. Your best bet would be:
Do it yourself, bring it to the Ford dealer, or bring it to another autoshop that would be knowledgeable on what to check in the "high-voltage battery A/C filter".
Don't take it to Jiffy-lube. They are barely qualified (at best) to change your oil, let alone touch your hybrid system.

Follow-up report:
Based partly on feedback here, particularly the comment about TSBs and such, I took my Escape hybrid into the Ford dealership for the 10,000 mile service.
The service supervisor asked me what was needed. I said I had scheduled the 10,000 mile maintenance. He said, "What does that include?"
Me: "Don't you know? Isn't it on your computer?"
SS: "I don't know and I don't know how to run the Ford computer--I'm usually working in the Dodge section. Do you have your Owner's Manual?"
Me: "It's in the glovebox. The service includes a tire rotation, oil change and filter, and inspection of the high-voltage A/C filter."
SS: "Uhh...ok. It'll be about an hour."
Ninety minutes later my car re-emerged from the shop.
Do I think they reviewed TSBs? Not a chance. -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
The TSBs come up automatically when the VIN is entered in the analyzer. I would suggest one reads their manual, it lists those services recommend for 5,000, 15,000 and 30,000 intervals. To provide your vehicle the proper preventive maintenance it should receive, to insure the longest trouble free life, one is best served by doing what is recommended at the prescribed intervals. The 15K and 30K recommended maintenance gets more expensive but it is the best way to avoid unwanted breakdowns on the roadways for you and your family
mike hunt
Jim Chinnis wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that possibly the mechanic saw any TSBs that pertained. Your service intervals are not the main ones for my vehicle. I did read the manual. The only service at 5000 miles is a tire rotation!
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

Hopefully you saw first hand that a majority of the replies were biased, and possibly inaccurate. I love how some posters cling to the notion that the "quick lube" staffs are all minimum wage morons who will screw up the most simple tasks and push unnecessary and/or inferior products, while the "professionally trained" dealer employee is highly trained and knowledgeable and could not possibly make a mistake.
There's good places and bad places to take your vehicle for service, depending on your needs.
Oil changes are not that difficult to master with the proper training.

Well, I spotted the village idiot right away, at least. Though he may just be a script.
I'm an old hand at Usenet, but new here.
I've had good luck for years from my local Jiffy Lube. The fellow down in the pit once diagnosed a problem with the driveline (without being asked to do so) that a dealer had been unable to identify. -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA