Dealer service necessary?

If the vehicle is under warranty, that is what the original poster was worrying about having a problem with, then yes the TSB is likely warratalbe. Many TSB provide for out of warranty protection as well. You get neither at the fast lube place however. I find it strange that some people are more concerned about who pays rather than whether the car is repaired properly or not.

mike hunt

BOB URZ wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

Which part of "waiting an hour or more for a 15 minute job" was confusing to you?

Reply to
Dave Zass

Simple, you post suggests if one goes to a quick lube at a dealership it will take longer to receive service than if one goes to one not at a dealership. That statement defies logic.

mike hunt

Dave Zass wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Ok, I see where the problem is.

I didn't "suggest" anything.

Reply to
Dave Zass

No? I was referring to;

15 minute job. ;)

Dave Zass wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Good. Now where exactly did I suggest anything?

Another poster made a "statement" that quick lube joints don't make you wait an hour or more like the dealership quick lubes joints. I agree. I do tons of driving and lots of maintenance to my vehicles. If I need a oil change, and an oil change only, I can get it done at a quick lube place in 15-30 mins with no appt. From my experience, that ain't gonna happen at the dealership, "quick lube" or no "quick lube".

I've gone to my dealer twice for these "quick" oil changes. The first one took over an hour and the second one all afternoon as I decided I would take the courtesy shuttle home after watching my vehicle sit in the same place I parked it for 45 mins.

If people believe that all quick lube employees are inept, so be it. If people can get their oil changed in a reasonable time frame while waiting at the dealership, so be it (again, it's a 15 minute job...). I believe both of these assumptions to be generally false.

I'm not here to argue, I'm here for information.

Reply to
Dave Zass

Good, you can inform us when the minimum wage drop-out at the quick lube cross threads your drain plug and ruins you engine.

Reply to
mcalister

Hmmm, let see. I go to the dealer, wait for a service writer. He takes a boatload of info. He then hands the car over to "lot boy". Lot boy takes the car to the service rack after one has finally opened up. Service is performed, service manager calls me or walks over to me and tells me about all of the other things I must have done (same thing happens at Gypy Lube) I tell him "No Thank you". He goes back. I wait some more as he gets around to releasing my car to the waiting lot. Lot boy is summoned. Car is driven to storage lot. I'm called over PA. I go to service area and am redirected to cashier. Cashier hunts up my paper work. I pay. Cashier calls for Lot Boy. Lot boy drives car to front so as not to incur liability of me driving through staged cars. I finally get my car. I have to reprogram radio away from tortilla stations. Elapsed time, 1+ hours on a good day. Cost, $35.00 basic fee. $2.00 disposal fee. Tax $2.88. Total....$39.88 for 5-20 wt. dino juice and a filter.

Now, Wal-Mart. I go to Wal-Mart and drive up to service bay. Man comes out and takes info....very short list. I ask for 5-20 Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. I leave keys and go shop. Thirty minutes go by. I return. Car is done. I go to cashier. Cashier reaches behind counter and pulls up bill. I pay, am handed keys and I go. Total time, 45 minutes plus I got other shopping done..win/win scenario. Cost: $29.00 basic fee. (disposal fee figured in) Tax $2.39 Total...$31.39 for Mobil 1 and a filter.

So, I can't imagine using the dealer for an oil change. However, if it came to having my hybrid car's electrical service checked......that goes to the dealer and I endure the fleecing.

There must be honest dealers and shops out there. I know we have one in Santa Paula at the Ford Dealer there. However, that's 60 miles away from me. Power Ford in Valencia is most definitely not customer friendly and in fact, has been dishonest with me on two separate occasions. I use them only as a last resort.

Power Ford....new (5 year prorated) battery $85.00. Installation, $25.00 Tax, $9.08 total....$119.08 cf. Wal-Mart New battery with 10 year warrantee non-prorated for first 60 months $58.00 tax $4.79 ...installation...$0 Total....$62.79 Add to that that the battery that was replaced was the Wal-Mart battery and it was in perfect condition and less than 4 months old. Wife did not know this and "trusted" the service writer. Ford had no comment other than "their tech tested it and it would not take a charge" I placed it on the bench at home, put a charger to it and it was fully charged in under two hours. (low charge was due to a faulty alternator which was being replaced under warrantee) That was 6 months ago. Since that time it has been in my Ranger and works perfectly.

The point of all of this is simply this. Some things are a better value at an indy shop, others must be done by a factory service rep. All repair shops need to be watched closer than you watch your daughter around the town lothario.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Agreed, and well put. I find the notion that the "minimum wage earning loser will cross thread my drain plug" mentality is alive and well. I think I read about it somewhere so it must happen all of the time.

Reply to
Dave Zass

Re: Dealer service necessary? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Apr 21, 2005, 4:06pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com

What part of 'Most dealerships now offer fast lube, lower cost, service as well and the don't use re-refined oil,' didn't you understand =A0 ;) mike hunt

Reply to
Eric Toline

Wouldn't the oil light come on before the engine seizes? Giving you time to shut off the engine?

Reply to
Bill 2

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of the time, by the time the light comes on, it's too late.

bamp

Reply to
bamp

And some people don't understand the severity of the oil light. But that's their problem. If I see the oil light come on I'll shift to neutral and shut off the engine.

Reply to
Bill 2

Jim Chinnis wrote in part:

Follow-up report:

Based partly on feedback here, particularly the comment about TSBs and such, I took my Escape hybrid into the Ford dealership for the

10,000 mile service.

The service supervisor asked me what was needed. I said I had scheduled the 10,000 mile maintenance. He said, "What does that include?"

Me: "Don't you know? Isn't it on your computer?"

SS: "I don't know and I don't know how to run the Ford computer--I'm usually working in the Dodge section. Do you have your Owner's Manual?"

Me: "It's in the glovebox. The service includes a tire rotation, oil change and filter, and inspection of the high-voltage A/C filter."

SS: "Uhh...ok. It'll be about an hour."

Ninety minutes later my car re-emerged from the shop.

Do I think they reviewed TSBs? Not a chance.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

The TSBs come up automatically when the VIN is entered in the analyzer. I would suggest one reads their manual, it lists those services recommend for 5,000, 15,000 and 30,000 intervals. To provide your vehicle the proper preventive maintenance it should receive, to insure the longest trouble free life, one is best served by doing what is recommended at the prescribed intervals. The 15K and 30K recommended maintenance gets more expensive but it is the best way to avoid unwanted breakdowns on the roadways for you and your family

mike hunt

Jim Ch>

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that possibly the mechanic saw any TSBs that pertained. Your service intervals are not the main ones for my vehicle. I did read the manual. The only service at 5000 miles is a tire rotation!

Jim

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

Hopefully you saw first hand that a majority of the replies were biased, and possibly inaccurate. I love how some posters cling to the notion that the "quick lube" staffs are all minimum wage morons who will screw up the most simple tasks and push unnecessary and/or inferior products, while the "professionally trained" dealer employee is highly trained and knowledgeable and could not possibly make a mistake.

There's good places and bad places to take your vehicle for service, depending on your needs.

Oil changes are not that difficult to master with the proper training.

Reply to
Dave Zass

"Dave Zass" wrote in part:

Well, I spotted the village idiot right away, at least. Though he may just be a script.

I'm an old hand at Usenet, but new here.

I've had good luck for years from my local Jiffy Lube. The fellow down in the pit once diagnosed a problem with the driveline (without being asked to do so) that a dealer had been unable to identify.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

I can only wonder why some would find it necessary to make personal attacks on anyone who posted on this subject.

The original question asked was 'do I need to take my car to a dealership for service or can I take it to a fast lube place, and if I do will that effect my warranty?' I don't know that anybody suggested all quick lube places are inferior are that all dealerships a first rate. We live in a world of variables. There is no question that based on any comparison the trained techs at a dealership are more likely to do a better job of servicing ones vehicle, since they have better equipment and access to TSBs for any particular brand. The question one must ask themselves, is it worth ot to take that chance to save $10 at a quick lube when it comes to the second highest investment the average person may make. Especially when, generally, one can have the same work performed at a dealerships fast lube facility for about the same amount of money.

Personally I buy a 30K and 40K vehicle every year. I will never subject them that risk for $10. Others are free to do with their money as they wish however, I could not car less. ;)

mike hunt

Jim Ch>

Jim Ch>

Reply to