Ford Escape Lift Gate Gasket

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. I hae had the vehicle for 3 years. I just noticed yeterday that the liftgate gasket is seperated at one locaton on the bottom of the liftgate. Is this actually broken or is it a
normal seam in the gasket.
mstrspy wrote:

If it is supposed to be separated, I would expect that it looks like it was cut (as opposed to have torn) and that it is in the center (from right to left).
Jeff
Yes, propely installed the ends of the weatherstrip meet at the bottom centre...

I have an '02 Escape and the weather-stripping is separated about 3/8" at the bottom also. When I inquired about it at the service department, I was told it was that way on purpose to help draw moisture out while driving.
SC Tom
WHAT???