Hey pick one..

Reply to
pick one

Why are you trying to pick me apart? Did I do something to piss you off? What's the problem? I'd be glad to answer any of your questions about my experience but maybe we should do it off the newsgroup. It's OT and IMO a waste of bandwidth. If you feel you need to make a point to the group, you could always cut and paste.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Yep, and all you gotta do is ask.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

dont worry tom

pick one has no certification

he is a wanna bee lmfao no seal no work in canada

lmfao

hurc ast

Reply to
katoo

Got plenty.

Want to explain why you index a bolt the shop manual says to throw away?

Canada is cold, I like it warm so I live in warm climates. I will guarantee you can not work in my field.

Reply to
pick one

"Yet you were laid off from your full time IT job in 2003 that you started in

2001. "In 2003 I was laid off from my IT job and am as yet unemployed" "Worked there full time from April 2001 til August 2003.""

Unemployed as in I didn't work for someone else. I have no desire to actually own my own business although I do pay taxes on the work I do and have the necessary documentation, thus Data Techs and Automotive Specialty Systems. Since 2003 I have done work in both the Automotive and IT field. This has been mostly contract work, without benefits, etc. I prefer to have a steady job and even though I consider myself unemployed, I was sure not idle. Prior to 2001 I also did contract work in IT along with my full time job at the dealership. I was A+ and NET+ certified before I entered school in 1999. You made mention of my "business venture" post of some time ago. At the time I was considering actually renting a shop and and putting all of my effort into Automotive Specialty Systems. I've since decided against it. Owning a business is more hassle than I want to deal with.

"So you have two years at Tops, but have been in the IT business for 5 years? You left automotive in 2001, laid off in 2003. You clearly stated in this NG that you have 25 years automotive. Why the several year difference?"

If you found a post where I said 25 you have my apology. I stick with 23 although technically I could say 27, as I started working on cars for pay in 1978 while taking automotive classes at the local vocational school and still have my hands in the business today. I started "playing" with computers as a hobby in about 1994 and started building PCs and small office networks "for pay" in about 1997. I usually consider that the beginning of my IT career. If I wanted to "pad" my experience I could say I have

11 years in IT and not actuall be lying.

"You have at the most 18 maybe 19 years automotive as a trained technician. If your going to give a resume out to public you ought to be accurate. Especially when you list your self as an "expert" on some obscure web site."

Actually the folks at 3clix wrote that off of my resume, not me. I was involved with them for about a month until I backed away. I smelled a scam there somewhere. I've tried to get them to remove my info but they haven't yet.

I think I see the problem. You seem to not consider training and time spent in other than a full time job on the payroll of a company as experience. You're allowed to feel that way I guess, I don't. For the past 2-3 months I've been setting up IBM Point of sale systems for a drug store chain. I do everything except pulling the cable.(Physically installing the equipment;configuring the servers, switches, routers, and registers, etc.) I'm a subcontractor operating as Data Techs and not actually an employee. Does this count as job experience in your book? How about the collector cars that I rewire or the custom AC installations? Do I really need to go on? How about this one. I am qualified, per FRA regulations, as an Engineer to operate a locomotive in passenger service. I do this on weekends for a non profit tourist railroad. Would this count as experience in your book? I'm not on a payroll, I don't get paid. Here's a clue, I was offered a position with CSX. No, it wasn't as an Engineer, you have to work up to that. I wouldn't have gotten the offer if they didn't feel I was qualified based on my experience.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

So you lied on you ASE? The requirements are two years verifiable experience. Are you saying you worked professionally as a mechanic in your freshman and sophomore years of high school?

"Who may take ASE Certification Tests? You may take the regular tests (except X1, L1, and L2) as long as you are registered by the deadline and have paid the proper fees. You will become ASE-Certified if you pass one or more tests and have at least two years of hands-on work experience."

Not only did I find it put in in a post asking you about it.

If they took it off your resume, you gave the information then. It was based on your resume.

The vast amount of employers feel the same as I. Training is experience, not in the same class as doing the work unsupervised after training and always be listed as such.

That would be like saying I build houses via Habitat for Humanity, which I do, but that does not make me a contractor. But the experience goes a long way if I were too decide to apply for a contractors license.

Of course, no body would argue with that. It's how you present the information. You made it appear that you had X years as a professional fully trained, which is after training. My point is you are taking credit where it is not due. You have 18-19 years with some part time while in training and you do side jobs is what it boils down to.

Reply to
pick one

sound like something you would do lmfao to kill time f*****ad flat rate is a rippoff for the customer it leads to shoddy workmanship

i get paid salery lmfao

Reply to
pickone

in canada working part time under supervision of a licenced teck is allowed the time will be applied and recognized lmfao

ase means sweet FUCKALL you are still unskilled worldwide

bwhahahahaha

hurc ast

Reply to
pickone

I don't know if the requirements have changed since then. I took the first tests while I was in high school. Maybe someone else remembers the requirements back them, I don't. It's been 20+ years since I even had to think about it.

Read the above quote again. I will maintain 23 years to date. If I said 25 it was a mistake. Anyone who read that post and questioned 25 years could have done what you did and verified it. The "25" was a mistake on my part. You're grasping at straws.

Especially

They took the facts off of my resume and embellished the heck out of it. That's one of the reasons I backed away. THEY labelled me an expert, as they did with anyone involved with them.

When does one cease being a trainee and become qualified? I've worked unsupervised on every job I've ever had; before, during and after "training". I have had ongoing training throughout my adult life. You're grasping again.

How do you figure. I have to meet the same qualifications and am just as responsible for safety and everything else as a "professional" Engineer. More so because I haul people, not freight. You can't just jump into a 200,000lb E-8 and go for a ride. Are you saying that because I'm a voulenteer that I'm not fully qualified? You've got a lot to learn, pal.

No, I state, as always, that I have 23(1978 to 2005 would actually be 27) years of automotive experience. No more, no less. When is one considered "fully trained"? When do "side jobs" become self employment? And, since when is contract work a "side job"?

You know, I wonder what you do for a living? I could probably find out but, it really doesn't matter. This conversation is getting old. I'm explaining my qualifications to some usenet denizen who hides behind a pseudonym. I've aired my qualifications thoroughly and have nothing to hide. Anyone on this group can judge for his or her self. So, unless you are offering me a job, you can now go f*ck yourself.

Oh, here. You win, I lose. I'm a fraud. Now, do you feel better? Gooood.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

BNWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FAIL You just ROASTED this guys rear axle

you INDEX nut and return it to INDEXED SPOT

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you do WORSE work than PEPBOYS

hurc ast

Reply to
pick one

so now post the shop manual where it sez replace the bolt ?

hurc ast

Reply to
pickone

I am looking for an opinion on a business venture, I was a Ford tech for many years and have about 25 years total as an automotive tech. I always liked doing electrical and AC work. About 5years ago I retrained in IT. In 2003 I was laid off from my IT job and am as yet unemployed. I have filled the gaps by doing electrical and AC work on collector cars, including complete rewires and some custom work on streetrods, along with Vintage Air installations. I guess what I'm asking is, Is there a market for electrical and A\C work on classic\collector cars. I know there is always someone in this area that wants work done, but they want it for $20 per job. When I quote $25/HR they tend to choke. A few of the "money men" in this area will go for it. I rehabbed a complete AC system in a 69 Coronet RT for $500 and parts ($365 customer supplied). The guy felt he was ripped off because all I had to do was replace some parts and charge the system. I have found that electrical work is better, but I can only squeeze out about $18\hr for uncobbling a harness on "Say" a

71 Roadrunner". I know the average car owner cant' do this work, and I don't want to rape him. Any Ideas? Tom Adkins (Automotive Specialty Systems) South Amherst, Ohio 44001

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I dont think so.

Ok, if you say so.......

Generally after formal education, you know the basic stuff? Wheel bearing end play; basic hydraulics; the stuff you need to know that you don't while in high school. Yes there is always ongoing training every body knows that, so don't go down that road. If you want me to believe that you went on your merry way as a high school kid working on someone's car unsupervised from day one, I have a great offer for you on land in the everglades.

I never said you did not meet any qualifications. My volunteer work has to meet code and such as well, the point is solid. It's volunteer work as should be said as such.

Ask the general public. Is the general public going to trust your judgment while you are still in high school with a transmission overhaul? I don't think so, the general public regards those in the automotive repair industry as crooks to start with.

I doubt you could, but if your asking I'll be glad to tell you.

I never called you a fraud, I did point out some glaring..................harsh word so lets just say what youve posted in your current vs. past posts has some problems.

Reply to
pick one

No problem: It's step 5

SECTION 205-02: Rear Drive Axle/Differential - Ford 8.8-Inch Ring Gear

1999 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual IN-VEHICLE REPAIR Procedure revision date: 07/27/1998
Reply to
pick one

I don't know about him, but I had half of my apprenticeship finished before I graduated from highschool, 3 days after my 17th birthday. I finished my apprenticeship and got my Canadian class A interprovincial MVR licence (Ontario) before my 19th birthday. Before my 21st birthday I was teaching auto mechanics at the secondary school level, and at the trade level before my 22nd.

After teaching 2 1/2 years, I returned to the trade for another 21 years, 10 as service manager, before "retiring" from the trade and taking up a new career.While working as service manager I turned down a teaching position (head tech) at the local community college / trade school. (call me crazy)

At age 40 I went back to school to learn computer technology -where I've been working ever since.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

How do you get your first job in 1978 and then take ASE's in the same year? That was my point.

Reply to
pick one

Reply to
pickone

Who cares? The fact is you do not follow proper procedures there all the same for the 8.8, 9.75 and 10.25. The only diff's that are different is the Dana 80 and Dana S135. Your a hack. I'm surprised your "red seal" has not been revoked yet. How many diff's have you destroyed?

Reply to
pick one

Wouldn't know about ASE - useless certification just like Microsoft Certified Engineer. No experience required.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

ASE requires two years verifiable experience. Yes I know about Microsoft's certifications, hell you don't even need to go to school for them. That just makes them easier.

Reply to
pick one