Help me pick a car.

I will probably be buyiing a cheap motor today, don't really care what it is as long as it has a bit of room and a bit of poke.

Nearby place has a few OK looking budget motors,

What would you be tempted by if you wanted change out of a grand.

I will be taking a mechanic with me.

Reply to
R D S

I would look at the impreza for the fun of it, the volvo and the mondeo, probably the mondeo even though I hate them would be the best buy

Reply to
Mrcheerful

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't buy _anything_ that cheap from a trader.

Think about how much margin they require to make it worth their effort to open their doors in a morning, then do the sums to see what they've paid for it.

Reply to
Adrian

My Scorpio !!!

Reply to
Pete M

Oh, I don't know.

I've done it a few times and always done well.

Reply to
SteveH

I was interested but with the price of fuel/VEL at the minute we have decided to go for something much smaller.

I guess 'the man' has won.

Reply to
R D S

What happened to 'bit of room, bit of poke' ?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's pre 2001 so the VEL is £185 a year...

Reply to
Pete M

We have had a rethink since this morning, decided we wanted a cheap to run daily runaround.

Plus we have 2 other cars, Fuglipla-plenty of room, reasonable poke, MX6 loads of poke, no room. The Mazda will probably be sold.

Reply to
R D S

Is (or was) there not a break at 1.4?

Reply to
R D S

Bad form etc...

over 1549, 12 mths=£120.00, 6 mths=£66.00

Reply to
R D S

Off that list?

Volvo 440 1.7, £289 Seat Toledo 2.0, £489 Merc 230CE £989

Or for a laugh, the rover 200vi £589...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'll agree with you on the Toledo. ISTR they're the Golf MKIII GTI lump in them.

Other than that, the Civic (Bel Air) would probably be OK, so long as it's not rotting around the rear arches.

Mind you, I've just spotted a Xantia TD and a Primula 2.0 16v SLX. Either of those would be good.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably the 320i. Isn't the 200Vi some kinda 'sporty' one?

Reply to
DanB

The lot of them were sheds, really a complete mess. The girlfriend pulled bits off the Volvo's rear arches, fair play it was sub £300. The Civic I was mildly interested in had a crack almost all the way down the rear bumper with the passenger side hanging off. There was barely anything there I would have been happy driving home in unless I had gone equipped with duct tape.

Reply to
R D S

Chav wagon.

Yes, it'll probably be shit at that age, though.

It's also been owned by a chav.

I note he takes all the photos of wet cars, so they look extra shiny in the photos.

Reply to
SteveH

You should always carry two tools - WD-40 and duct tape.

- If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

- It it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.

(Apologies to the "WD-40 ate my car" crowd).

Reply to
PCPaul

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:00:37 -0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of R D S:

Not over 1549, 12 mths=_120.00, 6 mths=_66.00 Looks like cars made before 2001 with large engines will be worth a lot of money.

Reply to
Alex Buell

You can easily pick up half decent sheds at the £300 mark if you're prepared to spend saturday morning getting up early and ringing around the ad-mag. The car will cost you money in bits going wrong, because that's what old cars do.

Reply to
Doki

I am hoping that next time I buy a used car the need doesn't arise in the morning with the deal needing doing same day.

I wish people would describe a car honestly though. I don't know what they hope to achieve by answering specific questions dishonestly then having people turn up pissed off when the car doesn't meet expectations.

Reply to
R D S