How much does a fuel injection service cost?

My car engine stalled once, and the shop recommended a fuel injection service for the price of around 90 bux. Is this a reasonable price and more important is it useful?
My car is a 01 Taurus. Thanks

Of course they did, but did they tell you why the car stalled? Did it fail because of something went wrong with the injectors, like a misfire? Otherwise I don't see any need for it.
They could not give me the exact reason since they couldn't duplicate the problem. But they replaced a broken PCV hose for me, saying it might be the problem and recommending this fuel injection service.
On Oct 6, 6:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Way back when North American cars were making the switch to EFI, the available gasolines would leave waxy deposits behind during a "hot soak". These waxy deposits (olefins) were (are) impervious to gasoline.... during the next run cycle, the gasoline would not flush the olefinic deposits away. Fuel injector cleaning (using some pretty harsh chemicals) was a viable and productive service.
With todays gasolines and todays fuel injector technology, fuel injector cleaning is, by and large, a major waste of money.
For techs (and shops) there are two schools of thought on this process.... That's 90 bux for about 8 bux of chemical and 10 or 15 minutes of work...... the rest of us call it a "wallet flush" rather than a fuel injector flush.

LOL! Thanks for advising the group Jim - never been offered one yet but I am sure the day will come. :)
What about carbs though? I often pour some Wynns carb cleaner in my 1980 Bronco... Only a few bucks but do you think it's a waste?
Brad

I've seen this product : http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/prof_3step.shtml
Some friends recommended Chevron Techron concentrate plus, when I toured around their website, I found this product which provides two more cleaners for air intake/induction etc ina addtion to Concentrate itself. This should be more expensive, but I don't know if it's ncessary to run those additional cleaning.
BradandBrooks wrote:

Procter wrote:

It's useless for your problem, and it's proof the shop is incompetent or dishonest. Ford has recommended against injector flushes since it switched to highly clog-resistant injectors in the early-mid 1990s, plus gasoline additive packages have become better over the years.

Why don't you try eliminating the stalling instead of play with chemicals that won't help? A dirtyh throttle body can be cleaned with a $3 bottle of throttle body or carburetor choke spray (the difference between the 2 is that throttle body spray is designed to not harm nonstick coatings), a toothbrush, and a rag.. Another common reason for stalling is a dirty idle air controller valve, but I don't know if it's safe to clean it.
They found out that the PCV hose was broken and replaced it. I don't know if this would be the exact reason. But my car only stalled once, and then I drove for another month without this problem at all. I sent it to the shop to check out some other malfunctions, but the mechanic could not duplicate my stall problem and there was no code for that. They just said fuel injection service might help but not sure, and he mentioned my throttle body is kinda dirty. That's all they said.
On Oct 9, 2:59 am, do_not snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Gas tank additives are a mixed bag.... most can't hurt but their need may be a matter of conjecture. All I've ever used is gasline antifreeze in the winter.... about every third or fourth fill.
For the price, using gas tank additives may offer peace of mind ( I have zip for experience with Techron.... come to thjink of it, I have zip for experience with any of them) but there aren't many "magic bullets". As I mentioned, I don't use fuel tank additives other than a product to emulsify water. Carbs can suffer from debris blocking the tiny holes in the emulsion tubes or from the fine dust that makes it through the airfilter blocking the emulsion air bleeds (open the choke and you will notice some brass inserts near the booster venturi struts... the tiny holes in the inserts lead into the emulsion circuits. There have been cases where blowing out these orofices with compressed air has helped with idle/low speed mixture concerns though I'm unsure if the effects lasted for very long.. For the emulsion tubes themselves, sonmme gas line solvent may help clear the orofices but I firmly believe that any debris will collect in the bottom of the emulsion tube well and a PROPER carb overhaul will be required. That is a bridge we shouldn't cross until we get to it.
Disclaimer.... water emulsifiers should NOT be used on diesel engines..... If water makes it past the water separator, injector (and in some cases, pump) damage can result....

Thanks as always. You're by far the most knowledgable person in this group and we appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Brad

I'm curious, did they get a 'code' that specificly said the injectors failed and caused the stall?
As for me, my fuel injector cleaning comes in a bottle, and only runs a few bucks. :p
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info