How to remove dipstick tube nut on 400 engine

79 F-150 PU w/ 400 engine I have a dipstick that goes into the side of the oil pan on the engine. There is an indent in the pan where the dip tube goes and its held in place with a nut, looking similar to the nut on the end of a steel brake or fuel line. It's a 5/8" nut. The problem is that the indent in the pan does not allow enough space for any common wrench. I tried some of those special brake line wrenches, standard open end wrench, plyers, vice grips, etc. There is just no room for the tool. Can anyone explain how to remove that nut? I am suspecting a specialty tool, but could not locate anything on the web. My local NAPA said they sell the O-Ring for that tube but no wrench. There has got to be a way to do this but i sure cant figure out how.

Please reply on newsgroup

Thanks

Floyd

Reply to
Floyd.dont.read.email

I keep a few inexpensive wrenches in popular sizes as "benders" for cases like this...

The one I made for the dipstick nut on the 351M/400,,,, essentially, the box end is bent to nearly 90 degrees (or whatever angle suits your conditions) very close to the boxed end (you'll need to heat it to cherry red or better to avoid breaking it) and cut a slot like on a line wrench. You may have to grind around the outside of the boxed end for clearance.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

How about a 1/2" drive x 5/8" spark plug socket (insert removed) slid down over the tube. Then use a wrench. You can cut a slot the length of the socket to clear any support bracket, or a larger slot to slip it over the tube. Just use your imagination.

Reply to
Tom Adkins