Ignition Problem

Hi,
I cannot start my F150 (1986, V8, 302). Where is located the electronics (computer) for the ignition system. I got a spark but not at all time. I
checked the rotor, plugs, wires, etc.. all are ok. I thinking that I have a problem with the electronics. The truck has been sitting outside during the winter. (I got fuel coming to the injectors). Any ideas?
Thanks,
MarkM22 opined in

If you have injection... you must have the EEC ignition system.
There are three parts.. the dist pickup under the rotor, the TFI ignition module mounted on the side of dist, and the coil.
AT the age of this truck, any of the three could be bad.
I would START with the ign module... there is a special tool to remove it, or you can grind down the barrel of a 7/32 (1/4 inch drive) socket.
If the grease is hard and caky, the TFI is probably the problem.. take it to autoparts store and have it tested if it's still greasy.
Next likely is the coil.. these also have a lifespan and cant hurt to replace, esp if it's got a lot of dirt buildup between the frame and the barrel.... likely cracked.
LAst is the pickup coil.
before u start replacing parts. put starting fluid in the air intake. u dont sound so sure about the spark situation and this will let u know for sure. rusto

Ok, I replaced the TFI, the coil, and the pickup coil. Still no spark. Any idea? Thanks,

Remove the cap and crank the engine, observe the rotor while cranking the engine does the rotor turn? Do you have 12 volts to the coil when the key is in the crank position and about 10 volts when in the run position?

check to see if you have power to the coil . there is a relay on the passenger inner fender that supplies power to the ignition circuit. they are known to have a wire connection go bad . find the bad connection, and it will start up and run fine.