Key fob costs over a hundred dollars

Page 2 of 3
Jim Warman wrote:

The procedure is lined out in my Grand Marquis' Owner's manual...
As long as you've got *two* keys, programming up to 8 total keys is pretty straightforward (at least according to my manual)
Otherwise, it's up to the stealership to program the keys...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

"Stealership"... interesting term, sometimes....
FWIW, I am a "stealership" tech and I have no qualms about helping where I can. Dealership rates are dealership rates... if you want second class work for not so cheap, go to Canadian Tire. However, if you could form simple sentences, you would see that I was talking about remote entry key fobs. To program a key fob to a car that has RKE, you don't need ANY programmed fobs... however, having a programmed key will help this part.
Now... what really amazes me is the number of folks that think they are so perfect that they will never lose or misplace a keyring... something we see "other people" do quite often. I would bet that there are many that have seen this tale of woe over and over again, clinging to their last remaining key.... and even more that possess two keys, and no consideration of purchasing a third while the programming is cheap.
You, sir, refuse to work for free.... I also refuse to work for free and the knowledge I have gained over the years is worth $$$$.
Stealership, indeed.....
says...

When I was doing some TV repair we used to say "Yes it's a $5 part, but it's $20 for knowing which one".
--
I. Care

Rant on Jim. I don't work at a dealership. In fact, I work in an entirely different industry, so I have no allegiance to dealerships from an employment perspective. I have though, benefited greatly from a cooperative relationship with my local Chevy dealership over the past twenty-couple years. I buy a lot of parts from them to keep the cars in our family in shape. Currently there are five vehicles I maintain in my household, four of which are GM's and all of the Genuine GM parts that I buy (I do buy aftermarket as well) come from this Chevy dealer. I've established enough of a longstanding status with them that I've long paid shop floor rate on my parts, I borrow specialty tools from them (simply sign them out and bring them back), get advice/tips/etc. on problems that stump me or that require knowledge I don't have yet, stop by for a scan at no charge, and on and on. Stealership my ass. This is a great working relationship. I do spend a fair amount of money over the counter every year compared to the average consumer, and it's nice to have been able to develop this relationship. Every time I stop by to pick up a part I walk out genuinely impressed by the way the parts guys seem to appreciate the sale. Hell - I appreciate the sale, especially at the discount level I get.
Here's my latest "stealership" story:
My daughter's '98 Malibu needed strut cap bearings. I suggested rebuilding the strut since the car has 150K miles on it. We priced the aftermarket and the best deal out there was $176 each from Advance Auto for a complete strut. Rebuilding was not really an option since component prices (shock, bearing and labor rate for strut compressor) made that not-cost effective. I did not price the dealer, thinking that a strut was going to be an item I wouldn't be able to get a good enough price on. Finally, went the salvage yard route. Bought a pair of newly installed struts for $65 each. Still had the paint and the stickers on the struts. These were almost brand new struts. So - we got a pretty good deal. Turns out I was at the dealership for something else and they asked me why I hadn't priced them there. Told them I was sure it was going to be higher than my daughter could afford. To make a long story less long, they looked up my price and informed me that the next time I probably should stop by. My price for OEM brand new struts - $102 each. My daughter saved money and she got a good strut, but that was a fluke - they were almost new. All things being normal, the "stealership" was by far the best deal out there.
Stealership indeed...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

But I used to own a 1987 Olds Cutlas Cruiser! 2.8 litre MFI engine. The emissions on that car were so low that the local testing station could barely measure them! And that car got WAY better gas mileage than I am getting with my 2002 mini-van!
I thought that there were supposed to be improvements in BOTH emissions AND gas mileage as years went on! And as I already stated, even my 1994 WAS an improvement over 1987, but 2002 and things are sliding backwards???
Something ain't right.
And in general, people expect a certain amount of "pep" from their car. If they have to, they will put their foot down farther to get it. So, if the STATIC emissions are lower, but the mileage and performance is less, then the DYNAMIC consumption and emissions will go up based on driving habbits! SO the net effect is that lower static emission vehicles will likely pollute MORE when driven in real life conditions!
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 03:32:31 GMT, "Jim Warman"

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:52:52 -0400, "KokomoKid"

Defintitely larger than the Olds Wagon. But the 1994??? I can believe that, for some strange reason, it is heavier, but wider??? I dunno. I could get way more stuff in my 1994 than I can in the 2002. And remember that my 1994 was not as aerodynamic as my 2002.
<sigh>
Oh well, other then the gas mileage, I love the car. It is great for hauling around my family. So I guess that I'll just have to suck it up.
i don't know what planet you are from, but here on earth, the remote fob can be bought for as little as $15, and you can program it yourself in about 35 seconds.

Some gal I know lost both keys for a little Ranger pickup. Cost her $250 plus towing to the Ford dealer.
Al
Big Al wrote:

How the heck can you lose *both* keys?
I;m keeping one on me, the other set (along with the remote starter's remote) is at my dad's...
as soon as I receive the uncut keys I've bought on Ebay (12$), I'll program them and keep one at my workplace and the other one at one of my female friend's place
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

it's easy. you see, you have to keep both keys for the vehicle on the same key ring, so you will not loose the spare key.

Tom wrote:

:)
Kinda taking backups but leaving the tape in the drive :)

--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

yup. it's the same difference.

and what does that have to do with a remote fob??

If you have one of the original keys you can program another. If you don't the dealer has to do it. These were PATS keys. http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php
Al
like i said what does this have to do with a remote fob?? a remote fob and a pats key are 2 completly different things on the planet where i reside.

George Orwell wrote:

For once I agree with you. Someone on a forum on which I was reading up on the topic of the outragious cost and complexity of smart keys stated that a replacement key for a Lexus cost $340 - and programing of that key was additional cost!
I replaced a key in my wife's '99 Buick - had a "chip" in it. A little internet research showed that the "chip" was a resistor. Found the value of the resistor, hard wired that value resistor (from Radio Shack) across the two wires of the "special chip reader" circuit in the vehicle wiring, and had Walmart cut a standard (non-"chip") resistor key of the same otherwsie design, and it worked like a champ. I had several copies of the key made for spares ($0.75 each). Dealer wanted over $35 for the "high tech" key.
Funny how someone can get arrested and prosecuted for price gouging in areas with natural disasters if they charge too much for certain commodities, yet this kind of crap is allowed to go on without penalty.
BTW - I'm told that the systems on GM's (and others) have been made "more sophisticated" (i.e., not a simple resistor) since '99, and if you lose a key or problems develop, you are SOL without spending a *lot* of money. We have way surpassed the point of diminishing returns on some of this technology crap (and I say that as an engineer and circuit designer).

I fully agree, Bill. I hate the excessive complication of the electronics nowadays.

Yes, my wife's 2001 Sebring key is over $200. Another reason to keep an oldie car, but I recently heard from a car mechanic that thieves are now stealing the oldies that don't have such fancy anti theft devices.

The spare key I bought for my 07 Sonata costs $2.95. No chips, no gimmicks.