Key fob costs over a hundred dollars

Page 3 of 3
Some O wrote:

Hopefully that means that most would-be thieves would simply get out of the business for the low value/return of what they'd be stealing weighed against the risks they are taking of getting caught - so maybe the end result is that overall, thefts should go down? Even stupid low lifes weigh the percentages of what they stand to gain vs. the risks.

Even worse, a former cow-orker bought an '03 Saab and found out it would cost $300 for a spare key. The keys on those things ARE fobs, they are placed in an oval fitting on the console.
Yep... if I'm going to lose something, I'd much rather lose my car than one of them overpriced keys....
Besides, there's no adventure if I go back to the parking lot knowing my car will still be there.... kept safe by that overpriced key.
Some folks aren't happy unless they are bitching about something. "The key costs too much..."..... "They stole my farkin' car...".
I wonder if folks would still prefer an unchipped car if it drove the price of their insurance up?
Jim Warman wrote:

Thieves are lazy and work off of the percentages. I seriously doubt a thief is going to take the same risks of all the ramifications of getting caught to steal my wife's '99 Buick as a later model car worth 10 times the price in the marketplace. The risks are not worth it for the low value he'd get for the Buick even though it's easier to steal.
Bill Putney wrote:

Your wrong there Bill. Most car thieves steal cars because they need a ride somewhere and don't have any money, then dump the car off in a parking lot somewhere.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Well if that's all they do to it, then I should get it back in good shape. :) Those same thieves will assume that it needs the "high-tech" key with the "secret chip" (AKA - resistor) in it to start, so they won't bother with it.

off function. Here many car thieves are druggies wanting a large vehicle in which to carry what they steal. They are avoiding newer thief protected cars and are stealing older large vehicles, such as the Chrysler LH and Vans.
Yup!
When I purchased my used 1994 GC, I was warned by at least 3 people... "Use a steering wheel club, or it will get stolen - don't forget even once!"
Well mine had an aftermarket alarm, but I used "the club" as well.
I never had a problem. :) but apparently lots of people did!

"The Club" may stop a joyrider but not a thief that wants your car for parts. They cut through the steering wheel to remove "The Club" ;)
mike

Mike, have you ever seen the advertisement for "the club" where the "bad guy" breaks into the car, disables "the club" by cutting the steering wheel, and has the car driving down the road in under 2 minutes??

George Orwell wrote:
Welcome to 1984
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

For a Ford, the PATS keys are around $14 on Ebay. As long as you have two working keys, you can program a third yourself. Add in a couple of bucks to have the key cut at the local hardware store and the cost to create a spare key for a Ford is less than $20. So you are only off by a factor of 5 for Fords. For a GM with Pass Lock II, the keys are nothing special, figure about $5, so you are off by a factor of 20. I don't know what Chrysler is doing - nothing the last time I checked, so you are off by a factor of 20 for them as well.
Ed
there is a truck like you descibed at the beginning of your post and it's a ford