Locating Mass Airflow Sensor on a 96 E350 5.8L V8

I'd like to get at the MAF sensor in my 96 club wagon to give it a cleaning but I am having trouble locating it. I know it's gotta be along the vacuum lines between the air filter and the throttle, but i
don't seem to see any wires coming out. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Ian
Go to www.autozone.com enter your vehicle year make and model. click repair info link then choose componant locations. select the part and read the location information. greg :)

Ian wrote:

air filter and remove that part of the housing, The MAF is in the half of the housing that is still bolted in place.
or is that the air temperature sensor (air charge sensor) On my car (buick) the air temperature sensor is in the air cleaner ducting over the throttle body. Apparently a 2 wire thermo transistor. here sheck out this link: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p  Greg :)

Thanks guys, but there actually doesn't seem to be one here. I disassembled the whole air filter housing earlier today. Seems like this van has a MAP system instead. Does that seem right? I was under the impression that pretty much all fords after 94 used MAF. This is a 5.8L V8 with two vacuum hoses coming out of the air filter.
The reason I went looking for it was to (hopefully) remedy a pinging symptom I've been getting under load at highway speeds. I read that MAF sensors can get fouled up and give bad readings, so I was hoping that was it... Now that it looks like I'm dealing with a MAP system, I'm going to have to try a few different things. Based on a brief search into previous threads, I've gleaned that the most likely causes are:
Fuel supply restriction EGR valve problem Bad O2 sensor Bad MAP sensor
Any input on where to start with diagnosis? Or other possible causes? The symptom is pinging (chatter?) at highway speeds once the engine is warm. It's especially loud when accelerating uphill or with a load. Will almost disappear if forced into a lower gear by pushing the pedal all the way down or turning the OD off. 93 Octane fuel will also nearly eliminate the pinging.
Thanks! Ian
Ian wrote:

Interesting. By 94 I would have also assumed it had a MAF.

Also make sure the engine isn't running hotter than normal. A slightly plugged radiator will cause the temp to go up enough to cause pinging.

According to Rock Auto, the MAF for a 1996 E350 5.8L should look like the picture at: http://www.cardone.com/English/club/products/webcat/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUMt9525 ( http://tinyurl.com/3625tf )
Ed