My 4r70w do the JackRabbit (from 1st to 2nd)

'owdy,

'94 Tbird LX V8, 64k (90% city) mi.

It always shifted hard from first to second. Doesn't actually clunk, but grabs 2nd real hard and fast. Like it's gonna break somethin'

I was at a dealers years ago, mentioned it to the svc. mngr. He said his F-150 did the same thing and he just took his foot off the gas to get it to shift smoothly. I been doin' that for most of the 9 years I've been in possession of the beast. Is this "as good as it gets"?

Do the newer 4r70w's do the same?

If I nurse this tranny like a baby, what can I expect in the next 50k mi.?

"4r70w" as a tranny "model" is still being bolted to (new) bell housings?

TIA, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

There have been alot of big improvements in that tranny since 1994. See

tranny section for details

Reply to
Steve Stone

Hard to say how it will hold up but I think the original service manager lead you astray. It should never have been shifting like that and should have been fixed under warranty.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It is normally a very smooth trans. There have been numerous updates to improve reliability. It began life a pretty much nothing more than an AOD-E with the wide ratio gearset from the truck series to provide for better acceleration off the line. The shifting is controlled by the calibration of the valve body along with the electronics. If the trans was ever rebuilt, someone may have gone too far on the accumulator springs. IIRC, there was also an updated on the solenoid pack to improve this. The OD solenoid was updated to reduce or eliminate converter shudder on lockup. A good shop can check the pressures and see if it is in specs if it would make you feel better.

Personally, I did all the updates when I rebuilt mine along with a shift improver kit. The trans is now smoothly firm becoming more aggresive as the acceleration gets harder as I like them. I did go a bit further that I intended on the

4th gear lockup after having installed both the large piston and band for better hold. The added pressure in that circuit can be a little distracting to the unknowing when it upshifts until it warms up. I haven't bothered to correct it even when it would have been easy while servicing the trans.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

All of 'em? I somehow assumed all from that era shifted kinda hard 1st to 2nd, even with -very- little acceleration per the gas petal. Particularly when cold.

I knew it evolved from AODE. Was once told that 4r70w downshifted per PC (Process Computer), AODE downshifted hydraulically.

When I replaced the MLPS a few years ago, iffen I asked for a PC for my '94, they'd sell me a PC for a '95. That told me a little tiny something about the electronics. :-)

No rebuild.

Doesn't sound practical. Would expect too little accurate info for too much $.

Ahh. That I should be in a position to perform such tranny service (I'm nowhere close).

Cheers, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

The operate word is "normally". Cold transmissions are known to shift 1-2 a bit hard. Can actually get mushy when hot.

Both are electronically controlled by the ECM. The AOD (no E) was the last of the hydraulically controlled. That does not mean hydraulic signals are not used internally. in the electronic units.

IIRC, the big change n the electronics occurred fr the '96 model year including the control voltage.

That is usually the case. Most of this is best done at overhaul or if needed for other reasons.

Not unless you are a brave advanced DIY'er willing to invest some time to learn and money for tools on what can be a crap shoot!

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I'll try it again on next 10+ mi. journey.

100% ECM controlled shifting. Up and Down? So the -only- diff. AODE/4R70W is the wide ratio gearset?
100% hydraulically controlled shifting.

So maybe the '95 superceded the '94, then the '96 superceded the '95 ... :-)

The dealer wouldn't sell me a '94 MLPS (8 blade). Offered a '95 MLPS (12 blade), wanted extra $ to re-wire the harness. I bought an 8-blade at Auto Zone for $30. Looked OK and works fine so far.

Even if I had tons of time and tools, I can't imagine being able to do heavy duty stuff without a lift, and thatun is in my po' budget nooooooooo time soon. Besides, the way my back is today, I'd do well to lift the floggin' groceries. :-)

Skoal, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

See here:

Sharon Cooke