No brake lights

No brake lights.
'88 Cougar. The center (rear window) light works, but the main brake lights don't. Bulbs are OK, turn signals work OK. I'm thinking it
might be the turn signal switch in the steering column, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
I've been caught looking for the impossible.First thing I'd check for on any electrical trouble is grounding. My 2 cents Terry
"Robert A. Barr" wrote:

That is generally a valid piece of advice. But Barr says that the turn signals illuminate. But if the '88 Cougar is like all the Fords to which I am accustomed, I'm guessing that the brake lights and signal lights are the same filaments.
Thunder Fish wrote:

Thanks, I'll head in that direction. It's a friend's car, but we tried the hazards and they do work all the way around; so I'll look at that hazard switch too.
By 'multifunction switch', I take it you mean the turn signal switch in the column itself. Not the end of the world, and the part's only about $40.
Thanks for the tips!
RB