Oversized brakes

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Everything is relative. A '92 BMW should last longer than your average Ford/GM/Chrysler product, and on a 13 y/o car you don't really need more than liability insurance and the deprivation is not more than a few hundred a year.

It runs on regular unleaded. 9.0:1 CR.

Ulf

What? Please. Don't ever buy into this myth.
Brad
Thanks Brad for the second opinion.
Brad and Mia wrote:

used.
average
more
Properly maintained, he's absolutely right, at least for the vintage of car to which he's referring. Now my opinion of *new* BMW products is not that high as they seem to have traded basic mechanical excellence for gimmicks and gadgets (IDrive anyone?)
I would love a new BMW some day. I'll wait a decade or two. The quality issue will be a none-issue.
Or else I can buy an older model between '90 and '95 and fix it up like new. That's a good 5 years for BMW right?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

like
IMHO as far as BMWs go, the 1600/2002/3.0 era was the best and it was all downhill from there. But maybe I'm just a retro-grouch.
nate
N8N wrote:

Yeah; you are. Either that or you're in a parallel 'rust-free' universe. Those things rusted if you exhaled wrong at 'em. Lotta fun to drive - for as long as they still had an intact body structure. Now, Big Sixes from the late '80s - *those* are great BMWs. -- C.R. Krieger '88 535is
Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

I had one, if you remember... loved it. But the basic mechanics descended straight from the lovely 3.0CSi (I did get that right didn't I? BMW nomenclature is so confusing) which was simpler, purer, and WAY better looking than even the 635 that was its direct spiritual successor.
If I cared about rust, would I have just bought a '55 Stude coupe? Talk about a lovely car that rusts if you don't wipe your sneeze off the windshield instantly... C.R. you need to discover that there really is a parallel rust-free universe, and it exists only south of the Mason-Dixon line (or so far north that it never thaws...) anymore I "import" my "toy" cars from AZ, TX etc... I hate rust just as much as the next guy, so I don't deal with it :)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
On 20 May 2005 08:57:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Neighbour leased a new Bimmer a few years back - never had the car out of the shop for longer than 2 months at a time for the duration of the 3 year lease. Had posession for just over 2 of those 3 years. He cursed that car for 5 years after he got rid of it. Leased a new Supra to take it's place. At the end of the 3 year lease he bought it and kept it another 5. Lost one DAY of use due to unscheduled repair (tranny leak) in 8 years. Then he got a MB Eclass. Within 2 months it was in the shop for a new engine - and was tied up for 6 weeks. That was just the beginning - so he got a Camry and hasn't looked back.
A Bimmer or a Benz is fine as a status symbol, or as a second car. If you've got loads of spare cash.

Your comments about the BMW are not based in fact.
Is the BMW 535 an SUV? I didn't know BMW made SUV's in '92.
I wouldn't mind a BMW motorcycle. Only I'm afraid because all of our roads and highways have gotten increasingly congested and dangerous in recent times. I'm paranoid. I'd love a BWM though. Something that doesn't look like a ticket magnet to the police though. I need to keep a clean driving record as I'm going into truck driving.
On Fri, 13 May 2005 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No, but you could probably adapt some marginally less-shitty brakes from a similar-year Ford minivan.
That's a good idea, I wonder why I never though about that. The Ford Windstar/Freestar might have front brakes that are interchangeable.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You might check out if the police/fleet versions had a HD brake option. You might find some junk yard parts.
Bob
-
I'm wondering who I might call to find this out. I would suspect FORD if it's Ford that sold the cars premodified. Otherwise I'd have to check with the law enforcement authorities and I doubt the person at the front desk would know the answer.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try doing a google search for taurus brakes and rotors. Maybe something off of a SHO might be better (maybe a 96/99 ?). Here is a few links:
http://www.buybrakes.com/powerslot/apps-Ford.html http://www.shoshop.com/guidelog/v6/v6chp4.htm http://www.shoshop.com /
Plenty on Ebay too.
Make sure if you go oversize, that your wheels will still fit.
Bob
-
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Another option would be slotted/cross drilled rotors for better heat dissipation and a good set of pads. You'd be surprised how much better a set of $80 front pads can be compared to stock, especially on slotted rotors. EBC "green stuff" and Hawk pads are both very good and make a drastic change over stock.
Plus oversized brakes usually require larger wheels and tires.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Budget in for new wheels too. If you get bigger rotors and calipers, they probably won't fit under stock wheels. ------------- Alex