R-12 needed in Raleigh, NC

Does anyone have about 10 pounds of R-12 to recharge three auto ACs? I have a guy who can do the work, but he can't seem to find any R-12 around and he doesn't want to buy a whole 30 pound tank to do three cars.
He is going to install new seals and receiver/dryers, but I am hoping to save $300 a pop for replacing the compressors if we were to switch over to R-134A.
Please reply by removing the "1234" from the posted e-mail addy.
there is this stuff called Freeze 12, their website is http://www.freeze12.com / My buddy uses it all the time.... his 1972 Datsun truck is freezing when he charge it with it....
-Lee

USENET NEWSREADER wrote:

Look on eBay. Lots of sellers there. All anyone needs is money AND the EPA 609 certificate.
Sharon K.Cooke wrote:

Don't want to deal wtih E-bay and don't want to order some bogus R-12 on the net - I want local sources for R-12 - I just need a few pounds.
Can anyone provide an actual answer to the question - does anyone have a small amount (less than 10 pounds) of R-12 available locally?
Freeze 12 is not some crap off the net. This stuff really works in R12 cars.
-Lee

Freeze -12 is great....R12 is better. 1 hr and $15 you can have Epa 609 certification (What a joke). Ebay has it as low as $10 a pound. Heck 134a would cost you $14 a can @ pep boys. Ebay R-12 is the way to go........... (To me if it don't spit out ice crystals it just ain't cold)

Lee wrote:

The "actual" answer is: You are looking to buy from a private individual. Most who have it, don't want to part with it. You can purchase it locally through auto parts stores but you need 609 Certification. Virgin R-12 is available on E-Bay, again with Certification. Your "AC Guy" should have the necessary certification to purchase any quantity of R-12 from any source. If not, you really shouldn't have him work on your R-12 system.
Freeze 12 ia a viable alternative that works very well but it has some drawbacks. It is a blend of refrigerants. If a small leak develops the lighter component (R-22?) will leak out first. This is the component that carries the mineral oil in the system. "Topping off" then leaves too little in the system, possibly starving the compressor.
You mention replacing the compressor to do an R-134 conversion. This is unnecessary unless the shaft or body seals are leaking, then it would need to be repaired\replaced regardless of refrigerant. There is no internal difference in the compressors.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:40:38 GMT, USENET NEWSREADER

Try Bottoms Tire and Auto in Rocky Mount (with the new bypass, it's a LITTLE more local, LOL)... I had my Cabrio's a/c recharged there last month, and I'm purdy sure he used the "real stuff". (Tell him the Black VW Convertible with the oil buzzer guy sent you, he'll know who you mean, LOL).
--S. John

First, depending on the car/model/year, you dont have to change the compressors.
Second, I know people who have used freeze 12 and it works just fine... for me, though, any ford I've switched to 134a, from 1984 up works great with the conversion and no compressor or orifice change, But you SHOULD replace the accum.

Yeah, all you need to change to R134 correctly is a vacuum pump to evacuate the Freon. The proper way to do this is a shop to capture it that sometimes will do it for free to keep the R12. If you do not vac it all out, the R12 may react with the R134 to form an acidic substance that can block the system expansion valve.
No need to do anything else. I did two cars, changing over to R134, the beginning of the summer including a Golf and a Mercury Topaz for a friend and BOTH have ran perfectly all summer with just pulling a vacuum and using the retrofit kit of around 32 bucks. That is all it tells you to do on the website of the retrofit manufacturer also -to pull a vacuum before changing over - it uses a premix of ester oil. I have a license for R12 but changed over anyway the cars have been pretty cold too - I expected them to blow warmer. R12 on Ebay is NOT fake like someone wrote. I have bought it a couple of times. I think he just wants to buy it without the 609 certification. "Fake", come on!
Harry
How much are you willing to pay per pound? I have a cylinder of Freon 12 that I could sell you part of (give me a deposit, use what you need, pay for it, return the rest).
Ed

You can get the freeze-12 stuff locally in the autp parts store. Or just vacuum the R-12 out of one of the cars and use it on the other two and convert one to 134a.
So what does a can of real R12 go for? I have two cans left over from years ago.
I converted my 88 Lincoln to 134 myself.
On 24 Aug 2005 10:30:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mach 1 wrote:

I recently bought a #30 cylinder for $400. That's just over $13 per pound. Not much more than R-134a now. IIRC, Mach 1, you have a Mark VII, right? They convert pretty well but lose cooling at idle and low speeds. I put an electric fan on my 84, did wonders. Just an FYI.