Re: Barrett-Jackson classic car auction

Are you talking about the "new" Shelby or one of the kit cars? I do not recall seeing any of the really collectable Shelby racers. Claud

No, it was a GT 500 convertible that went for either 60 or 68, and they said they expected it to go closer to 100.
Not arguing, but wasn't that a 1968 model with a 429 and lots of extras? Great car, but still not one of the more expensive Shelby's. Claud
John Alt wrote:

Claud Spinks wrote:

What got me was the insane bids on a couple of kit/rebuilt cars. I mean - sorry - but a kit car worth over $50K? Must be some good stuff they're smoking.
Also, the sheer number of cars with altered equipment is shocking. It's nearly impossible to find a stock vehicle anymore - especially on european vehicles or less collectable ones(say a Buick Skylark convertable).

What was really insane was the bid on the the 1968 Chevy Camaro Z-28. That car was restored for $60,000 and it was the actual value of the car. Those crazy rich chevy guys kept bidding and bidding and the guy in a yellow jacket bought it for something like $125,000. If he were to sell that car, he would only get what the car is actually worth, $60,000. The Jaguars sold pretty well at good prices and the prices were just about right. Could have been a little more. There were 4 Callaway Corvettes and they were all sold to the same guy!
~CyberWolf
There were 4 Callaway Corvettes and they were all sold

Not the guy in the yellow jacket though.
~CyberWolf
Finally got off my butt (after I took a nap) and looked in a couple of my books. In 1968 Ford took over production of the Mustang Shelbys (the one we are talking about had a 390 not a 429, my bad.) This is the point where some collectors believe the real Shelbys ended. Still a nice car and one I would gladly accept if someone wanted to give me one. I agree with you on the kit cars. You slap a famous name on something and suddenly is is supposed to be more valuable. One thing after watching this and other shows. My old life crises will be a 30's to 40's Ford street rod. Claud 1987 Mustang GT Convertible 2000 Mustang GT 1965 Mustang Coupe 1993 Ford Conversion Van 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab (it was a good deal)