Replacing VSS in 99 Taurus

Any ideas how much of a pain this would be? I do have access to a lift if needed, but if I can get to it without going there, would be a better thing.
Anyone gotten to it from the top before? Daughter's car shifts strange and it's got the SES light and I am certain she is getting the code for VSS, since I have cleared that code a few times. I did wiggle the wires before and it got her by, but I am sure it's gonna have to be replaced.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Stu
Stu wrote:

AX4S or AX4N Transmission?
3.0 OHV or 3.0 DOHC or 3.4
engine?
Rob
It's a 3.0 OHV
Seems like it's an AX4S. Service manual says to take the dual converter Y pipe out. Have you tried it without doing that? I did replace a steering gear in this car without removing the Y pipe, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has done that.
Thanks,
Stu
On Tue, 01 May 2007 16:16:49 -0400, trainfan1

Stu wrote:

I see that Y pipe instruction.
Other than that, it seems quite straight forward, I suppose you could try to sneak it out w/o disturbing the exhaust system. My VSS is acting up a little now at 187,000 mi., I may have to try this myself.
Rob