Severe Judder, Any Ideas

Travelling in an 1993 E150 Econoline, we were coming down a hill at about 30-40mph, brakes lightly applied then a judder thru out van, as if All tyres
were flat (which at the time i thought they were) Never happened before. Hav'nt taken it to a garage yet, Any ideas what caused this ?
On Thu, 29 May 2014 11:20:49 +0100, "TJ Evans"

I'd check for loose front end parts - particularly tie rod ends
On 5/29/2014 5:20 AM, TJ Evans wrote:

Warped brake rotors.
Lynn

If the rotors are warped, you will get the shudder any time the brake is applied. Being an econoline, from lots of past experience, I'd be checking out the front suspension and steering linkage VERY closely.
TJ Evans wrote:

bad steering stabilizer, or false ABS activation come to mind, (since it's not every time you hit the brakes, ).
GW

That vehicle has rubber bushed tie rod ends and other steering linkages as standard equipment, and if they get worn (not if, but when) they get really unpredictable and the "death wobble" is a common result. Replace with Moog instead of OEM parts to solve the problem more or less for good.

as if

caused

Mine are about ready for replacing. What's better about Moog over OEM?
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 23:38:43 -0800, "Guv Bob"

They are not made of rubber - they are "conventional" joints and stand up a lot better.