Tire Pressure

Page 1 of 3
I just put a new set of Michelin Harmonies on my 2004 Taurus.
The tires have a max PSI of 44 listed on the sidewall.
Ford recommends a max PSI of 30 for tires on this car.
How much pressure should I use in practice? Car typically doesn't haul any heavy loads.
TIA

Go with the Ford recommendation (whatever's on the door post.) SC Tom

ARE you SURE the Ford listing is MAX tire pressure? There's a big difference.
The Tire listing means exactly that. The tiremaker knows the design limits of the tire.. but he has no idea for certain what vehicle it might be used on.
The Car Mfr recommends the best pressure for load, economy/wear and handling. And has NO way of knowing what aftermarket tire MAX might be.
HOWEVER - as you may know, different tire designs may handle differently and work/ride/wear better at slightly higher or lower pressure so it should be used as a general guide.

Hmmm... just happened to think..maybe that's why tires have a speed rating code instead of actually just LISTING the speed limitations, eg 130MPH.. ;)

What? Where the hell does Ford recommend 30psi? Go with what the tires say, 44psi, or, of course, you can always just blow a tire and die if you like.
Brad

(they depend on quality tires, unlike the Firestones a few years ago). The max pressure listed on the tire is just that - the maximum psi that can safely be used. The tire manufacturer does not care about the handling or ride comfort. Go with the Ford recommendation.

What? ARe you saying to run a 44psi tire on 30psi? BLOWOUT ahead! Like I asked, WHERE has Ford said A taurus must run 30psi? Maybe on the stock tires... are these stock? I doubt it.
Sorry man.
Brad

This is a terrible recommendation. Assuming the new tires are of the same size and load rating as were supplied on the car, you should follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. Michelin has the following to say (see http://www.Michelin.com/care/tip1.html ):
"Recommended Pressure
"Always inflate your tires to the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle's manufacturer. This information can be found in the owner's manual and often on a placard located in the vehicle's door jamb, inside the fuel hatch, or on the glove compartment door."
This is a recommendation for US drivers. P Series tires with a 44 psi recommendation are not rated to carry a higher load than other P series tires of the same size with the same load rating which may only have a 35 psi maximum pressure rating . The higher maximum pressure is to allow vehicle manufacturers to recommend higher pressures for higher speeds. The spec sheet for Harmony tires includes the following additional recommendation (http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_harmony.pdf ):
"For high-speed driving, additional inflation pressure and possibly reduced tire loading and/or upsizing is required. In the absence of specific recommendations by the vehicle manufacturer, use the following guidelines based on those in the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization Standards Manual.
For speeds over 160 km/h (100 mph), load and inflation must be adjusted according to the table below. S-Speed Rated Sizes: Maximum Speed (mph) 100 106 112 Inflation Increase (psi) 0.0 1.0 2.0 Load Capacity (% of max.) 100 100 100 T-Speed Rated Sizes: Maximum Speed (mph) 100 106 112 118 Inflation Increase (psi) 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 Load Capacity (% of max.) 100 100 100 100
Of course, since US speed limits are much less than 100 mph, these recommendation in theory only apply to certain European countries (Germany).
Regards,
Ed White

So, you are saying Ford put a 44psi tire on a car that they recommend run 30psi? (Does this car have a 60mph limiter on it?)
Are you guys crazy? Do you know what happens to severely underinflated tires at highway speed. Try it for a while. PS: wear your seatbelt, you're going to need it.
Again, would someone show me WHERE does Ford say to put 30psi in a 44psi tire? Please, explain. The original poster has no idea what he is talking about, and neither do you guys. No offence.
Brad

Re: Tire Pressure Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Sep 30, 2005, 6:22am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (BradandBrooks)
What? Where the hell does Ford recommend 30psi? Go with what the tires say, 44psi, or, of course, you can always just blow a tire and die if you like. This is a terrible recommendation. Assuming the new tires are of the same size and load rating as were supplied on the car, you should follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. Michelin has the following to say (see http://www.Michelin.com/care/tip1.html ): So, you are saying Ford put a 44psi tire on a car that they recommend run 30psi? (Does this car have a 60mph limiter on it?) Are you guys crazy? Do you know what happens to severely underinflated tires at highway speed. Try it for a while. PS: wear your seatbelt, you're going to need it.
Again, would someone show me WHERE does Ford say to put 30psi in a 44psi tire? Please, explain. The original poster has no idea what he is talking about, and neither do you guys. No offence. Brad<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Go look at a new car on a dealers lot. Check the tire sidewall for _maximum pressure_ info then check the doorjam sticker for the recomended tire inflation. I have "H" series tires on my car and it says "max pressure 44 psi", the sticker says 32psi normal cold inflation.
Running at 40-42 psi will be like riding on steel wheels and the over inflation will play havoc with the tread wear same as under inflated.
Eric

There's a sticker on the inside of the fuel hatch that plainly details the size of tire to be used on the vehicle and the max PSI.

Uh, apparently you're the one in the dark and spouting bullshit. No offense.

Sorry, but you don't understand tires or the tire industry. There are standards for a given size and type of tire. The pressure on the sidewall is the maximum inflation pressure for the tire, but not necessarily the correct inflatin pressure for any given application. There are industry standard load vs inflation pressure tables for any given type (p series, lt, etc.), size (P195/70R15, P335/65R16, etc.), and load rating (98, 105, etc.).

Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong. Your basic mistake is thinking that it is a "44 psi" tire. The 44 psi pressure is not the correct inflation pressure, it is the maximum inflation pressure. Ford doesn't recommend buying a 44 psi tire or a 35 psi tire. They recommended a certain size and load rating for the tires and a pressure appropriate for tires of that size and load rating. For a 2004 Taurus, the standard tire was a P215/60R16 94T. The P215/60R is the tire size. the "94" is the load rating. The "T" is the speed rating. The Ford pressure recommendation is appropriate for any P series tires of the correct size (215/60R16) and load rating (94 = 1477 lb). The Harmony tire in the OP happens to have a maximum pressure rating of 44 psi. The maximum load rating for this tire is 1477 lb (and it actually can support this weight with only 35 psi, the 44 psi maximum is to allow higher pressure recommendations for substained high speed operation). A 2004 Taurus has a curb weight of around 3400 lb and a maximumloaded weight of less than 4000 lbs, or less than 1000 lb per tire. I don't don't have a copy of the load inflation table fore this tire size with me today, but I am sure that the tries are rated to carry far more than 1000 lb each when inflated to 30 psi. One thing I did notice - the Haromony tires in the P215/60R16 size are only "S" rated tires (112 mph). The OE tires were T rated (118 mph).
Please study the situation before giving out more bad advice. Start educating yourself by reading the following references (I have copied information from the major US tire manufacturers):
http://tires.michelin-us.com/care/tip1.html
"Recommended Pressure "Always inflate your tires to the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle's manufacturer. This information can be found in the owner's manual and often on a placard located in the vehicle's door jamb, inside the fuel hatch, or on the glove compartment door."
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/general/safety/part_rma_en.html
"Use the correct inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, not the pressure listed on the tire sidewall....." "....More than half of drivers -- 55 percent -- incorrectly believe that the correct inflation pressure is printed on the tire sidewall." - clearly they added this line for people like you!
http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Inflation.html#1
"How much air should I put in my tires?
"Proper inflation is the single most important part of tire care. The inflation pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM operating pressure. It is not necessarily the right inflation for your vehicle. Always use the inflation recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You can find it in your owner's manual, posted on the edge of the driver's door, on a door post or on the inside of the glovebox door."
http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_ipressure.asp - this is Firestones / Bridgestones site:
"Vehicle manufacturers list recommended tire pressures for original vehicle tires in the owner's manual or on a placard on the end of the driver's side door or in the glove box."
http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/safety/TireSafety2.asp
"The Proper Pressure ......
"There is no universal "right" pressure for all tires. The proper inflation level will depend on what tires you have, and it may even be different for your front and back tires. To find the correct pressure for your tires, look at the tire information placard that's mounted inside the frame of the driver's door, in the glove box or inside the fuel door. You can also get that information in your vehicle owner's manual and from your tire dealer."
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid5
Ed
"Arielo" wrote:
> > >I just put a new set of Michelin Harmonies on my 2004 Taurus. > > > > The tires have a max PSI of 44 listed on the sidewall. > > > > Ford recommends a max PSI of 30 for tires on this car. > > > > How much pressure should I use in practice? Car typically > doesn't haul > > any heavy loads. > > > > TIA > > > > What? Where the hell does Ford recommend 30psi? Go with what > the tires say, > 44psi, or, of course, you can always just blow a tire and die > if you like. > > Brad
tires get hot and pressure raises. you dont want to put 44psi in a cold tire then drive it and have the pressure raise to 55psi. on the door it will say what is recomended, use that. then you can play with it alittle to get the comfort you want (+-3-5psi)

For tires pressures are "When Cold", so what the pressure rises to when hot is not really part of the equation.
FYI: My 2005 F-450's tires are filled to 95 PSI as per both the tire sidewall and the Ford door plate.

What's an F-450?
Re: Re: Tire Pressure Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Sep 29, 2005, 8:01pm From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.invalid (Michael)
"xmirage2kx"
FYI: My 2005 F-450's tires are filled to 95 PSI as per both the tire sidewall and the Ford door plate.
What's an F-450? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
A big Ford truck. Bigger than the F150-250-350.
Eric

Eric, The cabs inside and out and front end sheet metal and grill on and the engines and transmissions in the F-450 and F-550 are the same as the F-250/F-350. The only differences are with the massively larger frame, springs, brakes, wheels/tires & axels, equaling much higher weight carry and towing weight limits, in a truck that is essentially the same size as its lighter duty Superduty siblings.
Now the F-650/F-750, now those are a much Bigger Ford truck than the F150-250-350-450-550.

Re: Re: Tire Pressure Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Oct 1, 2005, 6:15am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (351CJ)
A big Ford truck. Bigger than the F150-250-350. Eric
Eric, The cabs inside and out and front end sheet metal and grill on and the engines and transmissions in the F-450 and F-550 are the same as the F-250/F-350. The only differences are with the massively larger frame, springs, brakes, wheels/tires & axels, equaling much higher weight carry and towing weight limits, in a truck that is essentially the same size as its lighter duty Superduty siblings. Now the F-650/F-750, now those are a much Bigger Ford truck than the F150-250-350-450-550. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I just gave him a simlple answer. Yours is much more than I needed to know ;-)))
Eric

Well frankly your answer was not in fact simpler, it was simply inaccurate... Since you were attempting to answer someone's question, seems you did indeed need to know...