Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a plow to do the driveway myself. I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I wanted to get opinions from you folks.
I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being adequate for plowing?
Regards TheKidd
TheKidd wrote:

The F-150 3/4 ton pickup ("7700") has been upgraded for 2004 & 2005 to an "8200". It is a worthy plow truck(and in 4x2 trim will carry nearly 1.5 tons).
    HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (627)     Heavy-duty frame and 72-amp battery     Increases GVWR to 8200 lbs. for improved payload and towing     LT245/70x17D BSW all-terrain tires     Upgraded springs, radiator and auxiliary transmission oil cooler     Wheels - High capacity 17" 7-lug steel
    SNOW PLOW PREP PACKAGE (62S)     Requires Heavy-Duty Payload Package     Spring/GAWR upgrades
The F-250 SD basic pickup is only about $200.00 more on invoice than the basic F-150. Keep in mind, though, this is for a base model, stick shift, 4x2, no options.
Rob
TheKidd wrote:

You could plow your driveway with a 15 HP lawn tractor. I do mine with my 32 Horse kubota Tractor.
Is an F-150 a suitable snow plow truck? Not according to Ford Motor company. Could you use it for a 10 or 20 plows of your 450' long driveway each year? Probably so without much problem. If you tried to use it all winter to plow for a living, absolutely not enough truck to hold up long.
The SuperDuty would be a much better choice for plowing. The F150 is more of a "gentlemans" truck while the SuperDuty can handle the workload quite a but better. IIRC, the 5,4 F150 will have the 4R75W trans while tthe SD will have the TorqueShift which can handle the higher loading you will experience when pushing.
Additionally, the boxed frame on the F150 is made of much thinner metal that the SD.

Jim Warman wrote:

F-150 5.4 could have the 4R70W or E4OD/4R100. F-250SD 5.4 will have the E4OD/4R100, the TorqShift 5R110W is reserved for the diesel.
while tthe SD will have

F-250SD 5.4 will have the E4OD/4R100, the TorqShift 5R110W is reserved for the diesel.

Not all F-150 frames are the same. Thinner does not equal weaker. Look up "hydroformed frame".
Rob
Sorry... the 05 SD with 5.4 and 6.8 comes equipped with the TorqueShift.... Lord knows I've PDI'd enough of them.... The F150 with 4.2 is fitted with the 4R70E (sorry for the previous misnomer) and the 5.4 is fitted with the 4R75E for 05.... I haven't had a 4.6 powered F150 theough my bay yet so I'm not sure if it has the 70 or 75 transmission.
The TorqueShift was never "reserved" for the 6.0 though this was the first motor fitted with the transmission. in 03. In 04, the gas SuperDuties were fitted with the 4R100. AFAIK, the 4R100 is no more. Hope this straightens the record.
Jim Warman Senior Ford Tech Diesel Certified.
Jim Warman wrote:

Sounds good!
Rob
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 07:35:40 GMT, "Jim Warman"

yea rite in slave lake lmfao whose western canadas #1 ford dealer lmfao u go girl
The F150 with 4.2 is fitted with

whats deisel certified mean??
lmfao u go girl
hurc ast
trainfan1 wrote:

WRONG, Check your facts, for 2005 the TorqShift is available in all three SuperDuty engine choices! 5.4, 6.8 gas and 6.0 diesel!

Again, Check your facts, for 2005 the TorqShift is available in all three SuperDuty engine choices! 5.4, 6.8 gas and 6.0 diesel!

351CJ wrote:

I already stand corrected in the above posting on the 2005 line-up.
Rob
The boxed frame is heavily contoured.... it's not a matter of drilling a couple of holes and firing a long bolt through them.... Even something as simple as a fifth wheel hitch has limited choices due to the heavily contoured rail in the mounting area.
I'm not saying don't use the F150... I'm saying that the SuperDuty is a much wiser choice.....
The companies that sell plows, like Myers and Western will not install a plow ON any F150 that does not have the Twin I Beam suspension or on one with a manual transmission. Myers does offer a plow for the F150, but it not mounted on the truck. It is on a dolly connected to the front of the truck. Current models need to be at least an F250 to mount the plow ON the truck.
mike hunt
TheKidd wrote:

False on all accounts. This is what Meyers says: http://www.meyerproducts.com/service/faqs.asp How do I know if my vehicle is recommended for a snow plowing application? Only vehicles that have the vehicle manufacturer's snow plow prep package are recommended for snow plowing. GM uses the "VYU" option code. Ford uses the "86M" option code. Dodge uses the "AHH" or "AHD" option code. Snow plowing without the original Snow Plow Preparation Package may damage your vehicle, and the added weight to the equipment may impair the operation and control of the vehicle . Snow plowing with a vehicle that the manufacturer does not recommend for that purpose may void your new vehicle warranty. If your vehicle is not originally equipped with the Snow Plow Package, additional parts may be necessary before snow plowing. Owners of these vehicles should consult their dealers before purchase or installation of such parts. CAUTION: the installation, on any vehicle, of these parts is not a full substitute for the original equipment Snow Plow Preparation Package.
I just built a F150 with the snow plow package on line.
Both Western and Meyers list mounts for the F150 as well as blades.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

ya, OK, Right?
http://www.fisherplows.com/models.asp?model=ld http://www.truckaccessoriesworld.com/snow-plows/snowbear.htm http://www.missgrizz.com/products/snow_sportfeatures.php
Ford F-Series F150 LX Pickup Truck Pricing, MSRP and Specifications From Ford Prices
Snow Plow Prep Pkg., 4WD regular cab long bed MSRP 505 Invoice 429
http://www.4autoprices.com/ford/ford_f-150/ford_f150.htm