Why are American cars still so unreliable.

Page 4 of 5
You mean like Kaisers, Nashs, Studebakers etc? The real reason I suspect is the parts are so hard to get, expensive and the car so bland that nobody
wants to spend the time and effort to keep them running. But you are correct about those that buy them. People that read CR rather than MT LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Consumer Reports writes about cars. Motor Trend is just a fashion magazine for guys and takes bribes from the auto industry
Your forgot to mention appliances and weed whackers LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You LOL way too often for no good reason.
About 40 years ago, Toyota paid for Motor Trend's circulation for the entire year, in exchange for the Corolla or Corona being named "Import Car of the Year."
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

bet they dont have to pay for it now.
I'll bet you believe the destruction of the WTC was a planned by President Bush, as well. ;)
mike hunt

The Honda S2000 is pretty cool. So is the Mazda Miata. Of course, that is reminds one of a British car.
Jeff

I remember some cool Datsuns in the 70's.. but around my area they all rusted out extremely quickly and the owners junked them.

I think those were the Datsun 240Z or something like.
Why the Datsun brand was scrapped in favor of the Nisson brand, I don't know.
A marketing disaster.
Actually, Nisson should probably resurrect the brand, at least as a model.
But that is a discussion for another group.
Jeff

Datsun 510s were also great "sporty" cars in the early years (known as "bluebirds" elsewhere in the world) - the poor man's BMW 2002. Then there was the 1500 and 1600 "failady" sports cars - looked a lot like an MGB. Not many of them but very cool.The Z was also a "fairlady".
Toyota had the Celicas - very capable cars for their time as well, as well as the SR5 Corollas and stood up as well as or better than the European offerings such as BMW, FIAT, Renault, Puegot, etc.
The Euros were more expensive, and therefore more likely to be preserved - whether better or not is definitely open for question.
All Mazda had back then was the RX series, (RX2, RX3 RX4, and RX7) and the Cosmos.

NISSAN was the international brand for years before it was switched in North America. They finally rationalized their marketting and made the whole line Nissan. The company was ALWAYS known as Nissan Motor Corp. Just as the Toyo Kogyo company builds Mazda vehicles, and Fuji Heavy Industries builds Subaru.

They weren't imported to north America, or they are not collectible. Use your head for more than a hat rack.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Really? One of my friends was one of the first Toyota dealers in the US and the oldest STILL in business. I bought my first Toyota, a Toyopet, from him for $600 in 1959 to help him get some on the street. Is a 50, 65, or 73 Plymouth 4 dr sedan a collectable? One sees lots of them at shows LOL

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:17:52 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

And exactly how many TOYOPETS were sold in the USA? Or even ISUZU BELLETs? or Toyota UP7s (7 UP), or Toyota 2000s? They were not even a blip on the radar. If as high a percentage of, say Toyopets survived as , say 1959 Sport Fury Hardtops,(approx 21, 500 built in the US) you might find 2 or 3 in all of North America. There are more than that surviving (possibly half a dozen) and the Sport Fury IS a collectable. Not too many of THEM around either. Or 1956s - even MORE collectable - (24,700 built in the US) I'd be surprised if there were 5000 Toyopets sold in total in North America. They sold 287 in their first year in the USA. In 1965, with the Corona, they finally hit their stride.

Rare doesn't make collectible.
Well, perhaps collectible, but perhaps not valuable :)
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ever price a 1956 Sport Fury coupe or convertible????? Or a '57? Low to mid six figures in decent shape with the right equipment. Definitely valuable.

Then how do you explain all of the British, German and Italian cars that show up at car shows. Did they import thousands of those.
The question remains where are the old Jap cars, from the same tie period, if they are so good? :)
mike

Mike, the people that bought the British, German and Italian cars were more of autophile/snob type of person. The buyer of the Japanese cars in the early days were looking for cheap transportation and did not give a hoot about preserving the things after their useful life was over. Just send it to the scrap heap and by the next car as opposed the guy that got his jollies driving an European import and the cache that went with it. Euro cars were a personality statement while Jap cars were cheap transportation.
Fords are freakin awesome. My family has been driven them for 4 generations. I'm the youngest with a 1989 f-250. It has over 242,000 miles on it. Unlike alot of people my parents taught me the Importance of keeping my money at home and keeping our economy strong. All of our fords have been outstanding performers only needing routine maintenance along the way. It's not the Company's fault you bought a cheap used car. And it's not the companies fault you don't know how to take care of it. After all is said and done ITS A CAR and it was never meant to last forever.I'll take a Ford before JAP CRAP any day.
And this is to the Union Hater. I'm a Loud and Proud member of the UAW and no matter what you say America's Skilled trademen are still the Best in the World and there is nothing wrong with Employer/Employee Accountabillity. Better Benefits, Better Pay, Better Standard of Living. Don't be Jealous. There is Always strength in Numbers.

Are you a troll, or just brain damaged ?

More likely BOTH.