Windstar ABS

When I am braking slowly to a stop, just before coming to a complete stop, the ABS feels like it is kicking in, and the pedal goes almost to the floor. Otherwise, the brakes work normally, other than the pedal does not seem to "pump up". Applying the brakes quickly works normally. I thought it might be caused by a rear brake adjuster not operating proplerly requiring excess fluid to apply the brakes, but I just had them replaced, and I still have the problem. The front brake pads and rotors are in great shape. I am wondering if it is a bad master cylinder that is allowing fluid to flow back while braking, but this does not explain why it only does it at a very low speed. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jim

Does it make noise when the pedal goes down? It most likely is the abs kicking in. A wheel sensor is the most likely culprit. If you feel a pull in the wheel when it does it it is most likely the sensor oposite the pull. So, if it pulls left it will be the right sensor.

Reply to
Scott M

Does it make a "ratcheting" noise just as you come to a stop? If so, it's probably a bad ABS sensor. Had one of them once. I forget how much it cost, but it was not cheap.

Tom Duller

My 95 Windstar does the same thing. From researching the problem on the net it appears that one of the abs rings (the part with the teeth the sensor reads from) may have a crack in it. I haven't found which is the culprit on mine yet but the front two are fine. Robert

Reply to
Seller