"55" reg. new-model 1.6Tdi Focus Estate (UK)- Intercooler oil pipe leak

Is this a common problem?

Noticed droplets of engine oil sprayed about in the engine compartment including battery cover (righthand side of engine when viewed facing the vehicle with the bonnet open) and took car to Ford Dealer for warranty attention. Mileage just over 19000 (just over one year old). Fault diagnosed as leaking flexible (assume rubber) oil pipe serving intercooler. Repaired free of charge but I asked whether the problem is likely to recur and expressed surprise that such a modern car could spring an oil leak (abeit minor). Response from guy on service desk was that they 'would have fitted a modified pipe' which shouldn't leak again and he admitted that they had experienced a few problems of this type.

Does anyone know whether this is a recognised design defect or whatever? Has Ford issued a modified pipe? Is recurrence likely following repair?

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Regards,

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

This is a known problem TSB 13/2005 A revised design of pipe should be fitted if there is a problem. Normally found on older focii. Surprised a 55plate model did not have the new pipe in production. maybe yours was in storage for a while before registration.

You might want to browse here

Regards

Bob It is not a recall item

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Very many thanks Bob,

That's extremely useful. I just wonder what other problems are lurking in the background!

Regards,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul, If you join both the above forum and

and then check out the postings known as 'stickies' you will find lists of faults found on these models. Not all cars exhibit all faults clearly but if you think you have a problem then looking it up will at least let you see if it has TSB or SSM allocated. You can then be armed in advance before approaching the brain donors that often staff the dealership reception desks. Once you display real relevant knowledge to them they tend to give in and let you talk to a master technician. They really do know about your Ford and how to sort the problem out. One or two techs actually post on the forums which is really useful.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Many thanks Bob,

That really is useful information. Not impressed with dealership I used - they didn't even wipe away the 'old' oil caused by the leak - had to do it myself! Must find a better one, but they are quite widely spaced now!

Regard,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Ah, now..

My 2006 "06" 1600 at it's 25K service last week was diagnosed to have a fractured intercooler pipe, this was replaced last Friday, Now..over the weekend I noticed large oil splats on the drive So I take the car back to Polar Ford at Wakefield, they tell me that the oil filter had a faulty seal and that it has been replaced. This sounds a lot like bullshit to me, sounds like they screwed something up when they replaced the pipe, as is had been a week between the service and replacing the pipe, there had been no oil splats until the pipe was replaced. The spanner monkeys had overfilled the engine oil also. It was up to the top of the dipstick range, almost up to the wire.

any ideas?

Reply to
Robin