Drivers Arm Rest on 2002 UK Focus Ghia

Somehow, the drivers armrest on my 2002 UK Focus Ghia has got stuck in the upright position. However far "back" I try and push the armrest it won't
"click" to allow the armrest to come down into the correct position. So, I'm now left with an armrest that I can't use (and I miss it LOTS!). Any ideas on how I can correct this? The Haynes manual was comprehensively useless!
Many Thanks
Phil
Phil Jones wrote:

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I'm pretty sure that this is happening on the c-max too. Ive read the FFOC forums and it appears in the faults lists. Seems like Ford know about it, but as yours is a 2002, I'm not sure if they'd look at it for free.
--
http://www.needmyhelp.com

You have damaged the ratchet mechanism usually caused by pressing down too hard on the arm rest. There is a pawl inside the unit which snaps off. The good news is that by pulling of a spring clip the arm rest can be easily removed. The bad news is that Ford charged me approx 55.00 for a new one as the only spare for the unit is a new arm rest.
Hi, just to help others with the same problem, the spring clip is accessible from the rear of the arm rest, hidden behind the back upholstery of the seat. Once removed, its possible to partially pull the arm rest and expose the lumbar support adjustment cable, which needs to be unhindged as well in order to remove the complete mechanism away. Mine was also stuck broken upright and I have just removed it. Now off tomorrow to see what the Ford dealer will charge for the part... Cheers