Broken arm rest

Richard Grimes

99XLS

Well I know it's been posted before at one time. But anyway, my arm rest broke today so I removed it according to posted instructions. The parts guy at the local Ford store said that mine is a one piece unit ( bracket & armrest) that sells for $170.69. Thats a little much for me! Any way the plastic is broken in the arm rest. I was thinking of gluing/bracing the arm or replacing it aftermarket. Any ideas?

Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

I took my broken arm rest, put some reinforcing tape and some wire mesh to reinforce the split plastic area, and epoxied it back together. It's worked great ever since.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

Or you can check the junk yards for a good unit.

Reply to
rakster

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

Richard Grimes

Forgive the multiple post, it's getting late. I epoxied the plastic today and bought two metal strips to use as braces for the arm. I'll let you know how this turns out late Saturday or Monday. That ought to let the epoxy cure a little.

Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

PVC cement will literally *weld* the hard plastic sections back together. It's the only type of cement that will actually "eat" into the plastic on both sides and then dry. That's why it works so well with pipes.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

And to keep it from breaking again (or in the first place), put your owner's manual under it for support.

Dan

1994 Explorer
Reply to
dan gillespie

Richard

VERY good idea!

/richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

Richard

I wish I had thought of that before the epoxy. Oh well there is always next time! My son and I will probably drill the braces after his friends leave tomorrow. If it looks OK and works well I will do a final post on the results. Thanks/

Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

Richard Grimes

Final post on this thread.

My son and I finished the repair this morning. We had made a new tab to release the hinge lock yesterday and the epoxy worked fine. We cut two 1/8 x

3/4 x 11 inches long flat steel stock. Drilled them for the first four holes and were done. It doesn't look bad at all, matter of fact it looks "factory" until the arm is raised. It seems more sturdy than stock also, we shall see. Except for the epoxy drying it was about an hour to finish. Thanks for all of the posts.

Richard Grimes

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

Hey, some epoxies work well, too. But try PVC cement on a sample piece of any plastic you need to bond. Chances are pretty good that a PVC cement bond is as strong or stronger than the material itself!

Reply to
JonnyCab®