Oil Change

52 plate Focus 1.8 TDCI estate: Probably a silly query: To change the engine oil, does the whole under-engine tray (cover) have to be removed to get at sump plug?
Thanks. John.
wrote Re Oil Change:

What does "52 plate" mean?

Just the plug.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Vic Dura wrote:

It's a reference to the date of first registration using the complex UK system. It means first registered in September 2002. If you're interested, there's some detail here:
http://www.ukcar.com/features/reg_year_2.htm

Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

A UK vehicle registered between September 2002 to March 2003. The 52 bit is prefixed by a code indicating the region / office it was registered and following this there would be a random 3 letter vehicle identifier, so the poster's registration will look something like AB52 CDE.

I had my oil and filter changed at Kwik Fit last month and watched how they did it. Yes, they removed the under engine cover to get access. Six or eight screws or thereabouts.
Thanks, "Alt Beer". You'd have thought Ford could have made a hole in the under engine cover so as to save all that bother!

they

Hi JB
Probably talking thro' my thick skull, can you drill a hole thro' the under cover to get a socket thro'? (if necessary after removing cover the first time)
Delboy
J Bompas wrote:

I'm not familiar with that engine, but wouldn't you have to remove the under tray to change the filter anyway?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Yes, you do have to remove the whole under engine tray to change the oil or the oil filter. Normally you would always change the oil filter with the oil so making a "hole" to get to the sump plug to drain the oil would probably be a silly idea. It may also alter the air flow that cools the gearbox/transaxle assembly, as the hole would have to be probably 75mm in diameter to be successful for the job.
Mike

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I will stick with your advice and not mess around making holes. John.

Guess I was talking thro' my thick skull. Just ignore me and perhaps I will go away. :-} or :-{