Speed

how do i get my car to go faster then 110 if my car top speed is 140

Get a new engine computer chip. It is set at the factory for max. 106 mph google Diablo chip
If you have a Focus your top speed is nowhere close to 140 assuming we are talking about MPH. You'd need about 200hp at the wheels to see 140 mph in a Focus....

:>If you have a Focus your top speed is nowhere close to 140 assuming we are :>talking about MPH. You'd need about 200hp at the wheels to see 140 mph in a :>Focus....
Not completely true. :-) The SVT Focus is good for 135-140 MPH per SVT. Mine has seen 125+ MPH on the track before running out of straightaway. That's with 170 HP at the engine and around 145-150 HP on the ground.
me/2
:>> how do i get my car to go faster then 110 :>> if my car top speed is 140

Did test this only twice and got about 132mph according to GPS out of my 2l Zetec, or 7mph more then the registration says. The SVT should do of course better. You need an halfway empty and dry highway, then you can watch the fuel gauge fall.;( One has to keep much care, others just don't expect a Focus this fast, presumingly because the 2l engine is sold quite rare over here.
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +0200, Michael Heiming
:>> me/2:>
:>> :> :>> :>> how do i get my car to go faster then 110 :>> :>> if my car top speed is 140:> :>> :>If you have a Focus your top speed is nowhere close to 140 assuming we are :>> :>talking about MPH. You'd need about 200hp at the wheels to see 140 mph in a :>> :>Focus....:> :>> Not completely true. :-) The SVT Focus is good for 135-140 MPH per :>> SVT. Mine has seen 125+ MPH on the track before running out of :>> straightaway. That's with 170 HP at the engine and around 145-150 HP :>> on the ground.:> :>Did test this only twice and got about 132mph according to GPS :>out of my 2l Zetec, or 7mph more then the registration says. The :>SVT should do of course better. You need an halfway empty and dry :>highway, then you can watch the fuel gauge fall.;( One has to :>keep much care, others just don't expect a Focus this fast, :>presumingly because the 2l engine is sold quite rare over here. It's just the opposite on this side of the pond. Every US Focus has had either the 2.0 SPI, 2.0 Zetec, 2.0 Duratec or 2.3 Duratec.
As for top speed, as I noted in another message, the SVTF is aerodynamically speed limited to around 135-140 MPH in factory stock form. This info is from SVT. I'm sure they're a bit conservative in their numbers. I suspect that under the right conditions it wouldn't be too difficult to peg the 160 MPH speedo. I know of modified SVTFs that have done it easily.
me/2
Speed:

How can one determine which engine is in the '05 ST/ZX4 with 5spd transmission?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:00:02 -0500, Vic Dura
:> :>>It's just the opposite on this side of the pond. Every US Focus has :>>had either the 2.0 SPI, 2.0 Zetec, 2.0 Duratec or 2.3 Duratec.:> :>How can one determine which engine is in the '05 ST/ZX4 with 5spd:>transmission?
The US '05s have either the 2.0 Duratec or the 2.3 Duratec. As for the ZX4 ST model it comes with the 2.3 Duratec at something like 150-155 HP. This is the only "perfromance" model of Focus for "05 in the US.
Hope that helps.
me/2
Speed:

Yes it does, very much. Thanks for the info.
FWIW, I bought this car in January and have about 8k miles on it. So far, I've really enjoyed it. Previously I had a '97 Escort 4-door LX 5spd which I bought new and had about 160k miles on it when I sold it. That Escort was the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. I'm hoping for the same from this Focus.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Vic Dura wrote:

I wish I had been the person that purchased it from you.

I had the wagon version with the 5 speed and the above is the exact experience I had with the car. I put over 200,000 miles before I totaled it.

My 2003 ZX3 is not as quite as the Focus was with the AC/heater fan on the highest setting. The only problem I have had is the when throttle body get dirty the engine stalls when not under load.
238,000 plus miles and still as strong as the day I drove it off the dealer lot.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:52:49 -0400, John R Cambron

Wow! 238k miles in two years! Man that's a lot of driving.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Vic Dura wrote:

More like two and a half years. purchased the car on 04 12 2003
Contract courier. I drive 350 plus miles round trip weekdays between Snow Hill on the lower easter shore of Maryland and Baltimore. I haul mail for a major mid atlantic bank westbound and deliver transmission parts eastbound on the way back as well as other stuff along the way.
When the clock reaches 250,000 I will take a picture and post it to the web.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

The engine type is encoded in the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). http://www.ofoc.ca/garage/vin.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-ford-vin-codes
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp
Europe http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/vindecoder.html
-- Don
wrote Re Re: Speed:

Thank you very much. I never knew all the information was coded in the VIN.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

IIRC the most commonly Focus engine is 1.6l over here and there are even quite a few 1.4l on the road. They might be a bit cheaper (insurance + taxes), but IMHO it doesn't pay off, you need to kick the smaller engines harder to get away. 2l seems to be a good choice for the Focus, no need to tease the machine.
[..]
me/2 wrote:

The question I have for everybody here. Has any one ever put their Focus on a chassis dynamometer to see what it really can do?
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

[ Focus top speed ]

Not the Focus, some Escort wagon I had long ago, it was just in the specs, iirc about 5-10% less hp on the wheels then the registration says. That's what one should expect for DIN hp, which aren't measured at the wheels.
Anyway, a real world test using GPS which has +/- 0.1% inaccuracy, seems much easier/cheaper (if you have GPS anyway). You just need some highway dry and empty enough.
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:00:10 -0400, John R Cambron
:> :> :>me/2 wrote: :>> :>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +0200, Michael Heiming
:>>
:>> :>> me/2 :>> :>
:>> :>> :> :>> :>> :>> how do i get my car to go faster then 110 :>> :>> :>> if my car top speed is 140 :>> :> :>> :>> :>If you have a Focus your top speed is nowhere close to 140 assuming we are :>> :>> :>talking about MPH. You'd need about 200hp at the wheels to see 140 mph in a :>> :>> :>Focus.... :>> :> :>> :>> Not completely true. :-) The SVT Focus is good for 135-140 MPH per :>> :>> SVT. Mine has seen 125+ MPH on the track before running out of :>> :>> straightaway. That's with 170 HP at the engine and around 145-150 HP :>> :>> on the ground. :>> :> :>> :>Did test this only twice and got about 132mph according to GPS :>> :>out of my 2l Zetec, or 7mph more then the registration says. The :>> :>SVT should do of course better. You need an halfway empty and dry :>> :>highway, then you can watch the fuel gauge fall.;( One has to :>> :>keep much care, others just don't expect a Focus this fast, :>> :>presumingly because the 2l engine is sold quite rare over here. :>> :>> It's just the opposite on this side of the pond. Every US Focus has :>> had either the 2.0 SPI, 2.0 Zetec, 2.0 Duratec or 2.3 Duratec. :>> :>> As for top speed, as I noted in another message, the SVTF is :>> aerodynamically speed limited to around 135-140 MPH in factory stock :>> form. This info is from SVT. I'm sure they're a bit conservative in :>> their numbers. I suspect that under the right conditions it wouldn't :>> be too difficult to peg the 160 MPH speedo. I know of modified SVTFs :>> that have done it easily.:> :>The question I have for everybody here. Has any one ever put :>their Focus on a chassis dynamometer to see what it really can:>do?
I did earlier this year. I don't have the dyno sheet printout handy but I remember that peak HP was around 160 and peak TQ was somewhere in the 140's. This is on a SVTF with the ONLY "performance" mods being a FocusSport Cool-Flo intake, a FocusCentral 65mm throttle body, and a SCT XCalibrator 2 tuned by Randy at FocusSport.
The spec sheet on the SVTF shows 170 HP and 145 TQ max at the flywheel so those numbers above for HP and TQ at the wheels isn't too bad. :-)
me/2
The top speed by law is limit at a ratio set by the rating of the tires on the vehicle when it was new. Those that are not governed by the limiter must have a least 'Z' rated tires.
mike hunt

:>
:>The top speed by law is limit at a ratio set by the rating of the tires on :>the vehicle when it was new. Those that are not governed by the limiter :>must have a least 'Z' rated tires.:> :>mike hunt The Contis that come on the SVTF are rated "W" under the current rating system which indicates a speed of 168 MPH. This is per the owner's manual in my SVTF I've been told by a reliable source at SVT that the SVTF in stock form is limited to around 135-140 due to the aerodynamics. To max out the 160 MPH speedo requres some mods, a tailwind or a good downhill run. :-)
I've got the mods, now I just need a track with a very long straightaway. :-)
me/2