Veterans Day

To all you veterans out there, THANKS for your service to your country, particular those still on active duty in this worldwide war on radical Islamic terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan and all of the other fronts in this
war.
Mike Hunter
Not (and never) forgetting those who never made it... GREAT thanks to them.
Mark C.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:46:38 GMT, "Mark C."

Just out of curiosity, what traditions do people of different countries do to honour their veterans?
I know in the US, it's called Veterans Day but in Canada it's Remembrance Day originally commemorating the Great War which ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day. We often recite "In Flanders Fields" which was written by Canadian Capt. McCrae, a physician, shortly after witnessing his friend disintegrate from a direct shell hit at Ypres.
McCrae never wrote the poem down or at least that anyone can recall. The poem was passed around by vocal resuscitation among the soldiers and eventually published later that year.
A parade of veterans often begins the ceremonies, we gather to lay wreathes at Memorials and observe 2 minutes of silence followed by the trumpet call.