Where did 5th and reverse gear go?

UK Focus 99 2.0 5 door and driving home today had a lot of trouble getting 5th gear and when I got home found I cannot get reverse at all.
All other gears are ok, no clonking or strange noises....is the box
cattled or is it something simpler? Any ideas anyone?
John.
--
Remove REMOVE to reply:
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 RC 1 Mail and News:
JG wrote:

I lost 5th on my last '94 Probe when the shifting fork and 5th gear went bad. the dealer wanted ~$500 to fix it as the parts were unavailable from ford, and as a dealer they won't use 'used' parts, ( I have no problem with that, if I want used parts I goto a non dealer garage).
I think you have to look under de gearshift maybe something has broken in that area