Cooling system additive in Ford 7.3 IDI ?

I recently puchansed a 1994 Ford F250 IDI non-turbo . The previous owner just changed the water pump about 6 months ago and flushed the cooling system and replaced with ( gold color ) Prestone Extended Life antifreeze at %50 dilution but didn't add in the any of the cooling system additive ( called FW16 in the owner's manual ) . Is this OK with this kind of antifreeze or do I need to put some in ? - thanks

Reply to
rkpatt758

The additive is still required to prevent cavitation damage to the engine. All anti-freeze has some protection but, not nearly to the level required to protect a Diesel engine. This additive also has to be periodically replenished independently of the antifreeze to maintain a proper level of protection. Heavy duty truck dealers have inexpensive test kits to be sure the proper level is maintained. You might check a Navistar dealer since Navistar actually built this engine and used it in many of their medium duty trucks and busses. This is just one of the joyful little maintenance quirks of a Diesel that owners of gas burners may never know.

Reply to
lugnut

It's like Lugnut said. .... without the additive cavitation can occur which is basiclly eating up the block etc.

The test strips are relatively inexpensive, very easy to use and I consider them cheap insurance for a very expensive engine. The additive is not terribly expensive either.

Here's a link to where I get mine:

they are a good co. to deal with, and no, I have no affiliation

Hope this helps......

Reply to
johnH

I'd do some research over at

I doubt that your truck is supposed to be using that coolant to begin with. If it is supposed to work, it may have the additive already in it.

Reply to
Chris Hill