F-250 shift lever safety lock problem (Automatic)

I have a 2001 F250, for some time now I have problems getting it out of the Park when I start it up. The lock that keeps you from taking it out of Park unless you have the foot brake applied is sticking.

Am thinking their is a relay (solenoid) that needs a shot of LPS, just need to know where to find it, how to get to it.

I don't think it is a brake switch problem, but till I find the locking pin, not sure of much cept I can start it up ok, just can't get it out of Park. Pumping the brake pedal doesn't help, but jiggling the shift lever sometimes helps?

Anyone have any pointers on how to get some lube into the safety lock.

Thanks for any 'good' suggestions

Reply to
ronnie

I had the same problem on my 99 a few times. When I contacted Ford, they told me to use a very simple (DAH! I would have never thought of it) trick. Turn the steering wheel a little to the left or or right. What happens is that the steering wheel sits against the locking mechanism and just needs to have the pressure taken off. Simple, easy, and you'd think they fix it so that it won't happen again.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check the next time it happens, BUT? I don't think that's my problem REASON: I am almost sure the wheel isn't 'latched' into the locked slot when this happens. I have had that problem, and your fix is the only cure...

My problem 'appears' to be with the shift lever latch, not the wheel...

In case you don't already know it, if the fuse blows for your brake light... You can't drive the truck AT ALL, cause you can't get it out of park....

Something worth remembering, Friend had a topper installed, then about a month later couldn't get the truck out of park. That's when he found the topper tail light (LED) wire was shorting out & blew the fuse. He cut the wire, installed a new fuse and was able to get it out of park & drive off. Later he corrected the poor installation / shorting wire.

Reply to
ronnie

solenoid is located on the column assy. it is not the easiest thing to get to or to see. look up by brake pedal and you will see a silver cylinder with a two pin connector going into it. that is the interlock solenoid. very seldon do i ever see a solenoid failure. problem usually lies in the brake pedal switch.

Reply to
dieselmech32