Towing advice

I have a '95 Ranger supercab 2.3L standard.

I plan to make a trip next month pulling a U'haul trailer, about 1000 miles. The items I'm taking are light but bulky. I want to get the

5'X8' trailer which is also 5' high and weighs in at 900 lbs empty. I will only be adding maybe another 500 pounds.

Uhaul recomends the 4'X8' which is only 4' high and weighs in at 750 lbs empty. My items won't fit in this.

I have a step bumper rated at 2000 lb capacity. If needed, I can install a better hitch. My biggest question is reguardless of my hitch capacity, how much will the aditional wind resistance affect my speed and wear and tear on my little 2.3L? Will I end up driving 1000 miles screaming along in 4th most of the way?

Thanks for any advise.

-- The Cross-eyed Barber

Reply to
The Cross-eyed Barber

Absolutely!! If you can't get the stuff in the smaller trailer, rent one of the small U-Haul trucks one way. It'd be cheaper than repairing your truck or buying a new one somewhere along the way when that 2.3 or the tranny blows!

Yom J

Reply to
Tom J

If you use a little common sense, I do not see any problems at all. A few tips, first change all lubes before this task with fresh lube in tranny rear axl and engine. Next, forget OD and use 4th which is 1 to

1 and will have the least power loss in tranny itself and let engine wind up a bit more and make more power to pull load as RPM will not hurt it and is easier on it than trying to lug it. One more thing, do not try to race up hills foot to the floor on long climbs. Find a speed it is happy at at 1/2 throttle or less and use whatever gear and speed combo you need to get it. (the top of the hill will still be there when you get there)Also do not try to set speed records doing this and limt speed to 60 MPH or so as drag increase HP alot as you climb past 6 or so with a trailer. . One more tip, if you find yourslef starting to overheat, throttle back and gear down and if that does not help, turn heater on full blast (yes it will get warm in truck but it will help cool motor). If it get hot, do not wait for it to get to redline before you take action because you need to control it before then even if it mean pulling over for a while. Do this and you should have no problems at all.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes, been there, done that. And that is only if there are no hills or mountains.

Reply to
Scott

Yes your going to be going slow, cause the wind resitance is going to be large. and you want lots of room for stopping. Plan on no more than 60mph, and she'll do it all day and night.. But one has to ask, You cant get everything in the 4x8 trailer and the bed of the truck? If she has an auto, your going to be in drive, not over dirive or you will toast it.( I know you stated standard, but the next person looking for answers reading this might have an auto)

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks everyone who responded. I also stopped and talked to the GM at one of the bigger Uhaul centers in my area. He said people pull that trailer with similar configurations all the time and he's never heard a complaint. He also didn't recommend I get a better hitch even though I indicated he could have a sale if he did recommend it. So with his advise and that of some of you, I'm going to try it. I'll just take my time if it comes to that. No big deal.

-- The Cross-eyed Barber

Reply to
The Cross-eyed Barber