V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

Threaded View
I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis with the V10 engine and
just found out that they tend to blow the spark plugs right out of the head
at about 20k miles because there are not enough threads holding the plugs
in.

Is there anything I can do now to prevent this short of a mayor fix? What
about using a lock-tight product?

Thanks for any help,

Dennis

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

and
head
plugs
What

Try welding them in place or sell the motorhome.  By the way, I have a
bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

Just passed 67k of hard run miles on my '02 F350.  Haven't puked a
plug yet and I can still roast the back tires at will...

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
I read that this applies to year 2000 and under. So you're safe.

Just passed 67k of hard run miles on my '02 F350.  Haven't puked a
plug yet and I can still roast the back tires at will...

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
It aplies to all years except 05's and it is not very common. I just passed
65k as well and still strong as an ox.

Chris
00 V10 CC SB MT 4X4 4.30 Gear

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

  Emm... I have several times that on my 99 F250, not one issue yet.
There have been some happen, but the percentage is the question, and it
appears to be lo enough that Ford never sent out a recall

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
Sure hope you are right. I don't want to re-torque the plugs as I may do
more harm than good.

Dennis

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

It is true that these engines (and the 5.4L V-8) puke plugs on
occassion.  It is in small enough numbers, but if you are one of the
owners, you won't be happy.  (Ford won't cover the repair.)  Your
mention of it happening around 20K is the first I've heard of that
though.

My 99 has 90+ K miles on it and it hasn't lost a plug yet.  I'm
guessing it won't at this point....... unless I change them...... and
then I'll be wondering for an unknown time beyond that.  (I'm pretty
sure I'll let the Ford dealer swap them when the time comes, and hope
they have enough practice that they do it right.)

IF you spit out a plug, stay away from the Ford dealer for
repairs...... unless you want to buy a new head.  That is their
standard fix.  Instead, find an independent garage that has fixed a
few using a heli-coil-like insert.  (It isn't a normal heli-coil, so
don't try that!)  Going this route will probably cost you 1/5th of the
Ford-charged head replacement.

Supposedly the problem has been cured for the later model engines (03
and beyond?).  I've heard there is more metal/thread depth built into
the newer heads.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
My '99 V10 has 97K on it without problems.  It is not a 'given' that you
will have a problem.  If it ever did blow, then I would take it to a good
shop and have them put it back with an insert.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
How do they keep metal shavings out of the engine installing a helicore with
the head(s) on?

--
Mark
--

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:34:35 -0700, "Mark C."

Put grease on the tap.  That will get most of it.

Spin the engine over after tapping to remove most of the rest.

This was a very common repair on old VW engines, worked fine when done
right.

--

Peter T. Arnold
Windsor, Connecticut

helicore with

hmmmmm................ it certainly doesn't sound very Kosher to me.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
Whatever's left won't last long at combustion temperatures. I sure
understand your feelings, though. When the heads are aluminum, it's not
really very scary.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
Not being a mechanic I don't know the technique.  However, in the past I had
a Dodge NEON that blew a plug.  I took it to a shop and they put in an
insert without a problem.  I think I paid about $150-$200.  It wasn't
considered a big deal.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
"Dennis Vogel" wrote:
 > I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis with the
 > V10 engine and
 > just found out that they tend to blow the spark plugs right
 > out of the head
 > at about 20k miles because there are not enough threads
 > holding the plugs
 > in.
 >
 > Is there anything I can do now to prevent this short of a
 > mayor fix? What
 > about using a lock-tight product?
 >
 > Thanks for any help,
 >
 > Dennis

the problem with the ford long reach plug well blocks is that the
holes are shouldered at the bottom of the well. this prohibits the use
of a heli-coil insert from the top of the cylinder head, (due to the
fact that an 18mm tap must be used to apply the insert). the only way
to heli-coil these heads is to first remove them, standard charge for
this per side is $1300.00.

Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

That $1,300.00 charge only applies to people who have "STUPID" written
in big letters across their forehead.

Re: Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs
"Tyrone" wrote:
 > > "Dennis Vogel" wrote:
 >  >  > I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis
 > with the
 >  >  > V10 engine and
 >  >  > just found out that they tend to blow the spark
 > plugs right
 >  >  > out of the head
 >  >  > at about 20k miles because there are not enough
 > threads
 >  >  > holding the plugs
 >  >  > in.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Is there anything I can do now to prevent this
 > short of a
 >  >  > mayor fix? What
 >  >  > about using a lock-tight product?
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Thanks for any help,
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Dennis
 > >
 > > the problem with the ford long reach plug well blocks is
 > that the
 > > holes are shouldered at the bottom of the well. this
 > prohibits the use
 > > of a heli-coil insert from the top of the cylinder head,
 > (due to the
 > > fact that an 18mm tap must be used to apply the insert). the
 > only way
 > > to heli-coil these heads is to first remove them, standard
 > charge for
 > > this per side is $1300.00.
 > >
 >
 > That $1,300.00 charge only applies to people who have "STUPID"
 > written
 > in big letters across their forehead.

i dont know what you mean by that statement, ford charges a lot more
than that due to the fact that their fix is to replace the cylinder
head which runs $1875.00 for the cylinder head, and aprox $2000.00
labor. do the math.

Re: Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

I don't need to do the math.  Anyone stupid enough to pay that kind of
money to have a head pulled deserves whatever he gets.  Please share
your source for the drugs you appear to be using.

Re: Re: V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

That number seems awful high for a head. I'm not disputing it, merely
indicatin it seems high. I replaced a head on my Dodge Dakota, for about
$400 ( for the part alone) at the dealer to boot.

Just me 2 cents

Site Timeline