V10 - Blown Out Spark Plugs

I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis with the V10 engine and just found out that they tend to blow the spark plugs right out of the head at about 20k miles because there are not enough threads holding the plugs in.

Is there anything I can do now to prevent this short of a mayor fix? What about using a lock-tight product?

Thanks for any help,

Dennis

and

head

plugs

What

Try welding them in place or sell the motorhome. By the way, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying.

Just passed 67k of hard run miles on my '02 F350. Haven't puked a plug yet and I can still roast the back tires at will...

I read that this applies to year 2000 and under. So you're safe.

Just passed 67k of hard run miles on my '02 F350. Haven't puked a plug yet and I can still roast the back tires at will...

It aplies to all years except 05's and it is not very common. I just passed 65k as well and still strong as an ox.

Chris 00 V10 CC SB MT 4X4 4.30 Gear

Emm... I have several times that on my 99 F250, not one issue yet. There have been some happen, but the percentage is the question, and it appears to be lo enough that Ford never sent out a recall

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Sure hope you are right. I don't want to re-torque the plugs as I may do more harm than good.

Dennis

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

It is true that these engines (and the 5.4L V-8) puke plugs on occassion. It is in small enough numbers, but if you are one of the owners, you won't be happy. (Ford won't cover the repair.) Your mention of it happening around 20K is the first I've heard of that though.

My 99 has 90+ K miles on it and it hasn't lost a plug yet. I'm guessing it won't at this point....... unless I change them...... and then I'll be wondering for an unknown time beyond that. (I'm pretty sure I'll let the Ford dealer swap them when the time comes, and hope they have enough practice that they do it right.)

IF you spit out a plug, stay away from the Ford dealer for repairs...... unless you want to buy a new head. That is their standard fix. Instead, find an independent garage that has fixed a few using a heli-coil-like insert. (It isn't a normal heli-coil, so don't try that!) Going this route will probably cost you 1/5th of the Ford-charged head replacement.

Supposedly the problem has been cured for the later model engines (03 and beyond?). I've heard there is more metal/thread depth built into the newer heads.

Matt 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

My '99 V10 has 97K on it without problems. It is not a 'given' that you will have a problem. If it ever did blow, then I would take it to a good shop and have them put it back with an insert.

How do they keep metal shavings out of the engine installing a helicore with the head(s) on?

--
Mark
--

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:34:35 -0700, "Mark C."

Put grease on the tap. That will get most of it.

Spin the engine over after tapping to remove most of the rest.

This was a very common repair on old VW engines, worked fine when done right.

--
Peter T. Arnold
Windsor, Connecticut

helicore with

hmmmmm................ it certainly doesn't sound very Kosher to me.

Whatever's left won't last long at combustion temperatures. I sure understand your feelings, though. When the heads are aluminum, it's not really very scary.

Not being a mechanic I don't know the technique. However, in the past I had a Dodge NEON that blew a plug. I took it to a shop and they put in an insert without a problem. I think I paid about $150-$200. It wasn't considered a big deal.

"Dennis Vogel" wrote: > I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis with the > V10 engine and > just found out that they tend to blow the spark plugs right > out of the head > at about 20k miles because there are not enough threads > holding the plugs > in. > > Is there anything I can do now to prevent this short of a > mayor fix? What > about using a lock-tight product? > > Thanks for any help, > > Dennis

the problem with the ford long reach plug well blocks is that the holes are shouldered at the bottom of the well. this prohibits the use of a heli-coil insert from the top of the cylinder head, (due to the fact that an 18mm tap must be used to apply the insert). the only way to heli-coil these heads is to first remove them, standard charge for this per side is $1300.00.

That $1,300.00 charge only applies to people who have "STUPID" written in big letters across their forehead.

"Tyrone" wrote:

> > > "Dennis Vogel" wrote: > &nbsp;> > I just got a 2000 motorhome on a 1999 Ford chassis > with the > &nbsp;> > V10 engine and > &nbsp;> > just found out that they tend to blow the spark > plugs right > &nbsp;> > out of the head > &nbsp;> > at about 20k miles because there are not enough > threads > &nbsp;> > holding the plugs > &nbsp;> > in. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Is there anything I can do now to prevent this > short of a > &nbsp;> > mayor fix? What > &nbsp;> > about using a lock-tight product? > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Thanks for any help, > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Dennis > > > > the problem with the ford long reach plug well blocks is > that the > > holes are shouldered at the bottom of the well. this > prohibits the use > > of a heli-coil insert from the top of the cylinder head, > (due to the > > fact that an 18mm tap must be used to apply the insert). the > only way > > to heli-coil these heads is to first remove them, standard > charge for > > this per side is $1300.00. > > > > That $1,300.00 charge only applies to people who have "STUPID" > written > in big letters across their forehead.

i dont know what you mean by that statement, ford charges a lot more than that due to the fact that their fix is to replace the cylinder head which runs $1875.00 for the cylinder head, and aprox $2000.00 labor. do the math.

I don't need to do the math. Anyone stupid enough to pay that kind of money to have a head pulled deserves whatever he gets. Please share your source for the drugs you appear to be using.

That number seems awful high for a head. I'm not disputing it, merely indicatin it seems high. I replaced a head on my Dodge Dakota, for about $400 ( for the part alone) at the dealer to boot.

Just me 2 cents