V10 Spark Plugs

I have been wanting to remove the spark plugs on my V10. Can someone tell me if they have any good tips to share on getting to the ones way in the back. The dealer wanted $250 last time I checked.

Reply to
Redwood

Why do you think you need to remove the plugs? Unless you've hit the

100,000 miles life.
Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Why would you wait that long, that whole setup is pretty cheep, at least in the six cylnder motors. Probably be well off to go with the recomended change intervals.

Ralph E Lindberg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.fu-berlin.de:

Reply to
quakeholio

You obviously have never seen a V-10 motor, and have no idea of the complexity of changing plugs, or the service interval of the plugs. It's vastly different from a 6 cylinder.

Tom J who has 61,000 on the original plugs, so I have 29,000 to go before change!

Reply to
Tom J

The flimsy wiring connected to each individual igniton coil is my biggest concern, along with all the poor configuration Ford makes sure is under their vehicles hoods. I don't want to have the plugs become permanent parts of the heads. My hats off if you're brave enough to leave them in longer than 40K.

Thanks

Reply to
Redwood

A good reason to have a Ford Service Department do the tune-up & change the plugs, so it's their problem if they strip a thread.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Well I don't know about the V-10. I can't imagine they'd do a better job of making them inaccessible than with a V6 in a minivan. Even there however it's straightforward if you use the possible combinations from the following lists.

Access - 1. under hood 2. from wheel wells (jack the side up) 3. from below

Tools - 1. regular spark plug wrench 2. s plug wrench with universal joint or u-joint and separate plug (clearance required may be too much in this case) 3. swivel-head ratchet 4. 2-3 extensions

Usually they seem to come out easily once you have the correct access.

Reply to
Nexus7

If the threads strip while removing the old plugs, the customer pays, if they strip while installing the new ones, the shop pays.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I heard if you wait long enough, they just blow themselves out of the head all on their own.

Reply to
Shepard

I've heard that too.

Reply to
Redwood

But have you seen any evidence? The Ford V-10 is on of the most reliable engines being built today, with many still running with over a quarter million miles and no major work done on them.

You guys need to find something that is REALLY a problem!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I had a coil pack go bad at 85,000 on my V-10. It was at the back, under the dash and windsheild. While he was up there, I had him go ahead and do all the plugs. It was about $300 all said and done. He was a small fellow and didn't seem to have too much trouble sitting on the engine and reaching back up under to get at them on my 4" lifted Crew Cab 4x4.

Reply to
Jeepers