2000 Impala Mass Air Flow Sensor

Good evening, 2000 Impala intermittently running rough. When you hit the pedal to the floor, it may miss, surge, no backfiring. Stopped at a red light may shudder
and engine stall. This is intermittent. Not predictable. I eventually had the Service Engine Light (MIL) come on and received a Code for Mass Air Flow Sensor. This car has 188000 kms on it. Does the symptoms I indicate above sound like a Mass Air Flow Sensor, or is it possible something else could be making it look that way. The Sensor is about $200.00 so I dont want to buy one too quickly, that is without getting an opinion from guys in this group...
Is is common for these sensors to go. If I do replace it, is there other maintenance I should be doing like pulling the throttle body and cleaning everything....
Steve
Steve wrote:

Its not the MAF. It came on because air flow was low due to engine running below 400 rpm. Without know what engine is in you car its a waste of time to say more.
The Engine is a 3.8 litre...
Steve " Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Steve wrote:

Good engine. Start with the usual - clean the throttle body area. If you take it off to clean it, then remove and clean the IAC as well. Clean the MAT (temp sensor). The pcv valve is probably ok but may be worth replacing or cleaning. If that does not work then you will have to start diagnosing the problem. Check the plug wires with them HOT (temp). Check the ohms or volts at the TPS. Post back your results and readings.
if what he suggests doesn't work, then yes, the MAF being bad can cause the symptoms you are describing. if you're handy with electrical, & you can determine which wire is the signal wire, you can check the voltage on that wire, while putting the engine under a load (car in gear, brakes applied, caution being the key). as the engine goes from a light load (idle in gear) to a heavy load, (throttle opened a ways with brakes applied fully in gear) the voltage should change smoothly & steadily. if it suddenly goes to 5v+ (max) or near zero, or at any point fluctuates (i.e. irratic movement) then it's worn out & needs to be replaced. with the amount of miles you said being on it, it's a very likely candidate for being worn out.
reset snipped-for-privacy@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (superchuckles) wrote:

This MAF sensor doesn't output a varying voltage, so your test is useless.