96 LeSabre rattles and shakes

Out of balance wheel. Broken belt in tire. Bent rim. Bad tie rod.

I'm sure there's more, have it checked out by a mechanic.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Just started yesterday. While driving on expressway around 65-70 mph the front started to rattle and shake. It sounded and felt like I was driving over the rubble strips on the side of the road. As soon as I slowed down it stopped. It did this several times. It seemed to only do it above 60 mph. I checked the tire pressure and they were all ok. The steering stayed straight.

What should I look at now? I am thinking maybe struts.

Reply to
Tim

Were you applying the brakes at that time? If so - rotors & pads.

If not - wheel balance, broken tire chords, bent wheel.

Struts? Not likely at all.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I had the cruse on.

It was fine on the way to our destination and nothing was hit. Then on the way back it started. I will look closer at the tires to see if anything looks bad.

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Tim

You may or may not see a bulge because of a broken belt. Best way to check things out is rotate the tires, see if the vibration changes from the wheel to the seat of your pants.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Doing as Steve said, be sure & move them front-to-back & v/versa. There's a 50% chance you'll find it by switching just one side: then test drive & you may save doing the other two. BTW: If it moves to the seat, it's now on rear. Opposite, now on front. sam

Reply to
sdlomi2

I drove it today and did not have any problems. I will switch the tires front to back and see what happens. The rattle was like the whole car was running over rubble strips on the side of the road.

Reply to
Tim

Had the tires and wheels check and was told they are fine. I have notice a slight vibration starts around 50 mph only when acceleration slightly.

Reply to
Tim

CV joints starting to go? If it happens under acceleration, I'd think more drive train than tires, struts, suspension.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski