97 Sonoma ABS, Cruise Control, Heat A/C Blower Electrical Short

Here is my problem. When the truck is first turned on more often than not the ABS light comes on (as it normally would checking the system at startup) and stays on for various amounts of time anywhere up to an hour. When this light is on the cruise control does not work, nor does the blower for the heater a/c. As soon as the ABS light goes off everything works fine, it will sometimes come back on during the drive but usually will remain off. I had a brake only repair shop look at it and the light, while on, was in fact the ABS system checking itself over and over he said, but had no idea as to the other problems or the solution. I've noted in the past some similiar postings, but no solutions. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me directly if you prefer.

Thank you, Gene Smith snipped-for-privacy@wmconnect.com

Reply to
cautious

Bobo

There should be a relay that powers certain circuits, they seldom power any accessories off of the ignition switch anymore. I would guess the relay should be located in the box on the drivers side under the hood.

Al

Bobo wrote:

Reply to
A. Mester

I am guessing that you have a faulty ignition switch that is not powering the orange wire that feeds the abs abd hvac systems.... you can check by measuring the voltage coming out of the ignition switch.... the red wires are power going in,the pink is ignition out... the white or green is 2nd igntion, brown is accesory, like wipers and windows,yellow is start, and orange is hvac... Bobo +ACI-cautious+ACI- +ADw-cautious2+AEA-wmconnect.com+AD4- wrote in message news:b9ec8cf8.0311041649.6c316c77+AEA-posting.google.com... +AD4- Here is my problem. When the truck is first turned on more often than +AD4- not the ABS light comes on (as it normally would checking the system +AD4- at startup) and stays on for various amounts of time anywhere up to an +AD4- hour. When this light is on the cruise control does not work, nor +AD4- does the blower for the heater a/c. As soon as the ABS light goes off +AD4- everything works fine, it will sometimes come back on during the drive +AD4- but usually will remain off. I had a brake only repair shop look at +AD4- it and the light, while on, was in fact the ABS system checking itself +AD4- over and over he said, but had no idea as to the other problems or the +AD4- solution. I've noted in the past some similiar postings, but no +AD4- solutions. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Please +AD4- feel free to email me directly if you prefer. +AD4- +AD4- Thank you, +AD4- Gene Smith +AD4- cautious2+AEA-wmconnect.com

Reply to
Bobo

Unless it's a very recent GM vehicle design (like a Saturn Ion for example), most of the accessories that are powered with the engine running are indeed run directly through the ignition switch, there are no relays. That certainly seems to be the case on this truck.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Hi All,

I really appreciate your help and ideas with this. I ended up taking it to the dealer as I found out I had to take a week long auto trip leaving tommorow and just didn't have time to play in an area that I'm very weak in to begin with (Electrical systems).

They replaced the alternator and everything seems fine. I was told it was producing 23 amps where it should have been putting out 60 (Least I think that's the numbers they quoted me); this was borderline power to operate this circuit, hence it just shut down intermittently. This seems perhaps correct in that I had to replace my battery a couple weeks back as it went dead and I mean dead out on the road one day. I had them check the alternator when they replaced the battery which they said was ok at the time. In any event I have a new alternator and everything seems just fine. Did they just fix a simple short and throw in a new alternator to boot; well ya never know for sure but I think this was the problem.

Thanks again, Gene Smith

Reply to
cautious