99 Grand Prix window control killed by $0.01 part.

Hello Folks
Yesterday I had to buy a $88.00 (+ Tax) window control module for my 99 Grand Prix SE (4 dr.). The driver side window control rocker switch didn't
want to work to close the window as I stopped at a toll booth. Given I'm in the Buffalo New York and this time of year (I had to get the thing fixed immediately it was pouring rain). Well after getting the new module in (it took me about 4 minutes), I decided to take the old one apart to see just what went wrong. Well folks it was as I suspected a worn end of a $.01 piece of plastic. So just to see if I was right I popped the same piece off the rocker switch from another door and reconnected the module to the door. Of course it opened and closed perfectly.
Oh well, any one out there have to buy a rather expensive car componet part because of the failure of something so cheap??
Darrylbar
I suppose if you look at it like that, I had to buy a new waterpump due to the failure of a $ .25 ball bearing.
You found the reason I try not to buy cars with power windows and locks, who needs the cost of upkeep?

Scott wrote:

yup. Fiero with dead headlight motor. Needs new brushes. GM only sells the complete motor for $400. Ended up getting junkyard motor for $20. Woulda found a local electrical shop if I had to do it again.
Ray
I am having a similar problem with my 2000 Impala, but have been able to make it work so far. As for upkeep, I have had 7 vehciles with power windows and 4 with power locks and all have worked fine with no upkeep up till now. Roy "Scott" <kissmyredwhite&blueass> wrote in message