ABS Light

I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on my ABS light on my car. Recently my abs light will come on and stay on. Right before it comes on, when i go to stop, my car feels like its sliding on ice and snow, and we dont have either. Is this a major or minor problem??

Armywife

Reply to
armywife

Whether you like anti-lock brakes or not, ANY problem with your braking system is serious. There is absolutely NO WAY anyone will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis over the internet.

Take your car to a good mechanic - now!\

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Your ABS sensor is defective. To avoid brake slippage, remove ABS fuse and you will have your normal brake similar to vehicle does not have ABS option.

Reply to
none

We can't help you unless we know what the failure code is. And even then, we can only point you in the right diagnostic direction.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai1" wrote: > armywife wrote: > > > I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on my > ABS light on > > my car. Recently my abs light will come on and stay on. > Right before > > it comes on, when i go to stop, my car feels like its > sliding on ice > > and snow, and we dont have either. Is this a major or minor > problem?? > > We can't help you unless we know what the failure code is. > And even then, > we can only point you in the right diagnostic direction. > > Ian

Sorry I dont know what a failure code is.

Reply to
armywife

A failure code is a code that is stored in your vehicle's Electronic Control Module whenever something goes wrong. The ECM will "set" a code in its memory whenever a warning light comes on. Even if the warning light goes off, the ECM will still remember the code so your mechanic can still retrieve it. To "read" the codes in the ECM's memory, you need either a code reader and a book that tells you what each code means, or you need to take it to a mechanic or the dealer who will "pull" the codes from the memory with his diagnostic equipment.

A failure code will only identify what sensor and what the problem the sensor is reading. It may not tell you exactly what is wrong, but give your mechanic a place to start looking. For example, if your computer stored a code that meant "coolant temperature high" then you can tell that it's the coolant temperature sensor that sent the information to the ECM and it's saying that the temperature is too high - it's not telling you what is causing the temperature to be too high, only that it is. Sometimes a sensor itself goes bad and can set a code in the ECM. I believe another poster suggested that you may have a bad ABS sensor, but honestly without knowing what code is stored in the memory that is just a guess - it may be a good guess, but it's still a guess. Since there are several dozen things that could cause your ABS light to go on, there is no sure way for anyone to be able to give you a positive answer over the internet.

And anything having to do with your brakes is serious.

Cheers - J> > armywife wrote:

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Perhaps you should bring the car in and have it check by a dealer or your preference mechanic since you not certain about engine code and there is a good chance you don't know where the ABS fuse is either. However, do suggest to the dealer that if you can afford the repair at this moment, have them remove the fuse. It is much safer to drive the car without ABS than dealing with ABS intermittent problem. Don't get me wrong that ABS is not a desire option. This ABS option is nice to have during winter months or wet road conditions. I have ABS on mine vehicles and if I buy another car, I would want ABS braking system. I would not drive the car with an intermittent ABS problem. The fuse will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Reply to
none

"blank3" wrote: > Perhaps you should bring the car in and have it check by a > dealer or your > preference mechanic since you not certain about engine code > and there is a > good chance you don't know where the ABS fuse is either. > However, do > suggest to the dealer that if you can afford the repair at > this moment, have > them remove the fuse. It is much safer to drive the car > without ABS than > dealing with ABS intermittent problem. Don't get me wrong > that ABS is not a > desire option. This ABS option is nice to have during winter > months or wet > road conditions. I have ABS on mine vehicles and if I buy > another car, I > would want ABS braking system. I would not drive the car with > an > intermittent ABS problem. The fuse will be gone in a matter > of minutes. > > > "Jonathan Race" wrote in message > news:5WC4e.1110$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > > A failure code is a code that is stored in your vehicle's > Electronic > Control > > Module whenever something goes wrong. The ECM will "set" a > code in its > > memory whenever a warning light comes on. Even if the > warning light goes > > off, the ECM will still remember the code so your mechanic > can still > > retrieve it. To "read" the codes in the ECM's memory, you > need either a > > code reader and a book that tells you what each code means, > or you need to > > take it to a mechanic or the dealer who will "pull" the > codes from the > > memory with his diagnostic equipment. > >

Found out the problem of my ABS light being on is from my speed censor and it will cost about 150 dollars to fix.

Reply to
armywife