Battery Question

Hello,
Haven't bought a new replacement Delco battery in ages, so am just curious.
a. Does the dealer have to "activate" the battery first when he pulls it
from stock by adding water or acid to it these days ?
I seem to remember that years ago, they did.
But the terminology now seems to be "sealed" so was wondering ?
b. If activation is not required, how long, typically, once installed in the car, does the car have to be run before the battery is "fully" charged ?
c. How long can a new battery just sit on a dealer's shelf, withoput any charging, before it goes bad by sulfate forming on the electrodes or other problems ?
Thanks, B.
I will answer a. for you anyway. You just buy a battery and stick it in and it works right away. I just bought one from BJs and it fired the van right up. Tomes

If I understand correctly, then no, the battery does not have to be "activated". When the electrolyte is added, it is essentially charged.

Sealed can mean something or nothing. Some"sealed" batteries can be recharged with electrolyte. Dont take anything for granted.\

battery up to the best that it can be.

If the battery is DRY, then it can sit for a heck of a long time. Sulfation, etc, only happens, IIUC, after the liquid electolyte is charged. In other words, it does not happen in a dry battery.
Here is a good site that is updated periodically: http://www.batteryfaq.org/ It may answer your questions and then some.
--
Anyolmouse

The old "dry charged" battery. No longer around AFAIK.

Never had one that did not seem to be fully charge from the first start so I can't answer that. IMO, it is not a consideration.

Beats me, but go to a store with good turnover. If the batteries are on the shelf, check the date and get the newest one you can find. I've seen them with 6 months difference.
I've never seen the battery in my 7 year old Buick. Since most series 100 batteries are good for 84 months, I had it replaced. Still never saw it and probably never will.
One more thing. Does you radio have a security code? If so, it will not work once the power is off until it is reset. Many shops have a battery they plug into the lighter outlet to maintain power during the change.
Robert11 wrote:

No.
It all depends on how long the battery was stored.

Fresher is better, but up to a year probably isn't a huge problem.
You should know that GM-Delco hasn't owned or operated it's own battery manufacturing in years. I believe Johnson Controls bought Delco's battery business.
Personally I get my replacement batteries from a local NAPA store which does a brisk business in them. The new batteries are labelled with the month of manufacture and I've typically gotten batteries dated the same month as I'm buying them or one month back. Fresh is good.
John
John Horner wrote:

Agree with John on his choice.
Only caution would be to make sure the replacement will match up with any vent plumbing in the car -- particularly if the battery is installed under the rear seat.
As far as charging is concerned. You'll be better off if you hook the battery up to a charger overnight rather than depending on several days of routine driving to bring it up to a full charge.
-- pj