Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 2 of 14
wrote:

Simple, 1. they got the most money for their Toyota, Honda ect car on a trade-in perhaps for a truck, 2. the dealers have picked up the Toyotas at auction, 3. many of these dealerships are owned by one company which may own a dodge, ford and Toyota dealership and pass the trade-ins around. They know what sells.
Dale

snipped-for-privacy@mac.com.nospam wrote:

1A Having spent many years in retail as a Sales Manager I can tell you they would have been allowed just as much or more on another Toyota, Honda etc. car on a trade-in, but they bought a GM or Ford for a reason.

2A Used car dealers buy used cars not new car dealer. No new car dealer worth his salt buys three year old used cars, particularly those of other brands. They may buy one year old of their brand from the manufacture, but they need to get rid of their used cars not buy more.

3A They also know that any brand sells for more on the lot of that brand, less on other brand lots. They move the GM trades on Toyotas to their GM lots and vis versa
When you see a Toyota on a Ford lot it is there for a reason, the same reason one sees a Ford on a Toyota lot. The buyer didn't want another Toyota or Ford. ;)

Give you a example
MSRP on my 04 Sienna LE is $24260.
I'm looking at todays paper and I see a 04 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, MSRP $30205. I betcha I got more standard stuff on my 04 Sienna LE than that Caravan SXT.
Here's another, 04 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, MSRP $27365.
So who is less money?
Dale

MSRP is meaningless by itself. Go get yourself a total drive home price and find out which actually costs less before you buy, would be my advice. There are incentives, rebates, dealer discounts on one hand. ADM's, different equipment and option that dealers require you to buy on the other, that add to the MSRP as well as differences in interest rates. The true drive home price is the actual amount of your check or the total of your monthly payments to drive home that vehicle. My one son recently bought a fully loaded 2003 V6 family sedan. The three different brands he looked at had MSRP's that were only a bit over $4,000 apart. The one he bought had a total drive home price $8,600 LESS than one brand and $9,400 LESS than the other brand at which the dealers were willing to sell the cars to him.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com.nospam wrote:

Hogwash!
What if I said I had a brother that owned a Toyota dealership and he gave me a price that no-one else could match, way under MSRP. Or maybe I "knew" someone in the Ford dealership and they shot me a price that no-one else could match. Or maybe I'm just better at whistling a deal than everybody else.
Let's compare apples to apples not apples to spoiled tomatos.
Dale

Then I suppose you would get a Toyota or a Ford at price that no-one else could match. But the post said;

$30205. I betcha I got more standard stuff on my 04 >Sienna LE than that Caravan SXT.

And that my friend was the purpose of my reply. OK?
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com.nospam wrote:

FWIW, let's take Edmunds' "true market value":
Grand Caravan SE 3.3: $23,328 Sienna LE 3.3: $24,260
Moreover, according to the site's estimates on cost of ownership over 5 years, due mostly to lower depreciation and even with higher insurance costs, the Sienna edges the Caravan out by about $3,000.
It seems that it comes down to paying up front more and along the way (insurance) but then collecting proportionately even more at the end, which may actually cheapen the deal on the replacement (better trade in value).
These numbers suggest that the Sienna is a better deal than the Caravan, at least money-wise. It's up to the buyers to decide if the cars that both are meet their preferences and priorities.
To some people the Sienna is going to be more apealing, to others, the Caravan is, and not necessarily for the same reasons.
It's just great to be in the most competitive car market on the planet!
In being of bellicose mind posted:

Very true! Everytime I go to the Ford dealer for parts, the only spaces available to park my Toyota are in their used vehicle lot. One time I came out with a bag of parts only to find a customer interested in buying my Corolla with the Ford salesman telling him that he would be right back with the keys! LOL Rat bastards!
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
"Philip" wrote:

Mike... are you drinking again... still? What are you talking about? Have another go at it!
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
Hmmm. Your guys buying used Toyotas to resell because they can turn a buck? Bottom line! ;-)
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Mike,
I just got rid of my 2003 cadillac cts, traded it in for a 2004 Lexus ES330. There was this burning smell (extremely strong) in the caddy that 5 trips to the dealer did not cure. That was my last attempt with GM... no matter the incentive...
Dan
I had several Lexus V8's, great cars but they became way overpriced and the dealers were gougers. I have been driving Lincoln LS V8's, don't like under powered V6's, since I bought a 2000 in '99. No problems with any of the Toyotas or the Fords, all good vehicles. I like saving the money rather than a preference for any manufacture, except I do prefer to buy vehicles made in the US of US parts by US corporate tax paying American manufactures. ;)
mike hunt
"Dan JCS." wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Mike, hogwash. We are in an area full of dealers and its the usual mix of used cars. Heck, we have gobs of domestics, wonder what stories that would tell?
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in message

More likely it would say now you know that even though I cost you a lot more to buy and you paid a lot more to get me serviced I had problems on occasion, just as does every other manufactures vehicles. They all have problems on occasion that is why they all have a warranty. ;)
mike hunt
Don Noble wrote:

sez:

I have owned GM all my life and my experience is just the contrary. These cars last well into the 300 000 kms without major power train repairs. In fact I have ever had a power train problem with a GM although I have run them into the ground !
I currently own a Lexus es300 and an Oldsmobile 88. In terms of quietness, smooth ride, reliability, power, and fuel economy, my 88 is better even though it has over 300 000kms, and the Lexus only 200 000.
When the GM needs attention, the price is always reasonable. With the Lexus, it is always shocking.
The Lexus is a fine car with a great image, and I love it. But larger GMs are better value if bang for the buck is what you are looking for. In terms of value, from my experience, large GM cars are second to none. A.Z.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Yeah, If I'm going to buy a piece of shit, I want to get a good deal on it!
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for
alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota

I don't know anyone who compares family sedans by how fast they can go. And of course no one in their right mind would ever pay $19K for a new Stratus.
At least in California, new Toyotas are so agressively priced that used ones are usually a bad deal. The type of person that gets rid of a recent vintage Toyota after 1-3 years is the same type of person that overpaid for the car new and expects to get a lot for it used, often expecting to get more for a one year old vehicle than a savvy buyer would pay for a new vehicle. Fortunately, there are enough buyers that believe that they have to pay MSRP for a new Toyota, so there is a ready market for overpriced used Toyotas. So there are rarely any good deals in used Toyotas (or Hondas or Acuras).
Toyota has held the line on prices for many years, and street prices have actually come down, at least in California. I paid a tad under $17K for a Camry LE six years ago (a good deal at the time, about $1500 under invoice); now I can buy a 2004 Camry LE for $16K! Of course the newer Camry's have been decontented in a big way, so you're getting less for the lower pirce as well. Not sure if I will buy any more Toyotas, they seem to have gotten a little too cocky.

Tell that to Nissan Maxima owners. That's the primary reason *I* bought one, at least. :)