Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 5 of 14
Toyota makes good vehicle but that IS their problem, they are way overpriced compared to their competitors. My one son was looking for a new car and didn't want another Accord because he had
problems with his '01. He ended up buying a loaded 2003 Sable because it cost him over $9,000 LESS to drive home than a loaded V6 Camry. Many buy them anyway because they believe they are getting a better vehicle. To each his own I guess, but nearly $250 more a month on a three year loan makes a big difference to a lot of people.. As too the so-called superior trade value of Japanese cars, dealers were offering him $3,000 below wholesale for his '01. He decided to keep it for his daughter rather than give it away in trade.
mike hunt
"" wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Exactly. $9000 buys a whole new engine and transmission, plus a few thousand left over to put in the bank. I can't imagine any car needing more than $9K in maintainence over its lifetime(figure 10 years after the warranty expires), and that would break even with the Toyota's base purchase price.
Then there's the extra you pay in taxes and registration for a $9K sales price difference. Oh - and don't forget that $9K is a lot of interest over three years. That $9K grows to close to $12K over the life, so even if the Ford costs four times to maintain, you are going to end up several thousand ahead.
On 13 Nov 2003 08:34:46 -0800, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote:

LOL...you are jokeing are you not??
You own a 1995 Escort and didn't like the Celica?
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...quality is important to me...and I buy a Ford Escort????????
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott in Florida
Ha!
We can only hope!

Hmmm....,
Yes there is something that can stop Toyota, my American made GMC Jimmy. I would be willing to bet that when it crashes into your Toyota, I will still be alive.
Considering that Ford owns Mazda, and GM purchased Isuzu, It's only a matter of time for Toyota to be a U.S. owned company.
GMdude

How bout that Dalmier company buying Chrysler, arent they in Germany?
Maybe it will be Toyfordco, or Toygemco.
Dale

In being of bellicose mind posted:

You are delusional.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Yes, and the GMC spilled some fluids, fluids that are often only found in the front of the vehicle. The Toyota was able to drive off because there is very little in the rear of a pick-up truck that is as critical as the lube and cooling fluids or the steering components, not to mention differences in front versus rear crumple zones...

I comprehend just fine, take another look at the comparison that was made (front damage versus rear damage).
If it'll make anyone feel better, 3 years ago I was hit by an S-10 pick-up truck that was behind me, my Toyota was totaled, the S-10 was driven away from the accident scene.
Reece Talley wrote:

Very good point, Reece.
A number of years ago, my wife parked my '77 F150 in front of a van. Unfortunately, the van happened to be doing about 45 MPH at the time. The van hit the F150 dead-on center, but at an angle. The van drove off after the investigative report. My beloved 10 MPG 460 was towed off. The front bumper was distorted to a VEE. The grill and radiator were shoved into the block. The hood folded up like an accordion, and the fenders were pushed somewhat beyond the doors. The impact performed in a manner I presume it was engineered to do so. My wife only had some bruised knees.
Which leads to another good point. My wife had difficulty getting out of the truck because of the fenders jamming both doors. After learning of the accident, it occurred to me that in a front end crash the likelihood of losing battery service to power-operated windows is very great. Contemplate being in a vehicle on fire with jammed doors and windows you cannot roll down. Since then I have carried a readily accesible window-breaking tool in each vehicle.
This latter point was demonstrated to a driver who attempted to cross a flooded portion of road. The vehicle stalled in the middle of the flooded area. All power shorted out. He could not open the doors because of the hydraulic pressure exerted against the doors by the water. And, he was unable to roll down the windows. Fortunately, he was rescued despite his mental acuity shortcoming.

This has been proven to be a myth. Power will be around long enough to operate the windows, and door locks. This was even shown on one of those discovery television shows. This guy most likely panicked which has been proven to make even the most easy things pert near impossible.

Thomas Moats wrote:

Next time you are in my neck of the woods, Mr. Moats, I'll take you to the exact spot this "myth" occurred.
I live in Florida, I see this type of event on a VERY regular basis. Old people that should not be driving go into drainage ditches, water holding ponds, canals on a regular basis. It is a myth the power will stop as soon as water hits the car. The person panicked, his panic is what got him in trouble.

Thomas Moats wrote:

You possess extraordinary dismissive inclinations which I have observed in many of your previous postings.
From the manner in which it was told to me by the observer who witnessed the event, the driver was actually very calm, cool and collected. The driver had reported that he firstly attempted to open the doors; secondly that he had attempted to open the power windows. Thirdly, he opened the manual sun roof from whence he exited and from where he was rescued. Not being clairevoyant, I will accept the driver's word that he attempted to operate power windows which failed to function.
I am well aware that electrical circuits MAY continue to operate when immersed in water. To dismiss this particular event as a myth is presumptuous.
Regardless, the intended point of my previous posting is that in a front end collision, the loss of electrical service is a likelihood be it from severed cables, damaged fuses or fusible links, or a demolished battery.

If you want to think that, ok by me.

Not at all. It's more a simpletons way of explaining the events. There is a human nature need to always have an explanation, and this is a real easy one to grab on too. Do you or the "witness" know for a fact the key was in the run position? That some how in panic it was not turned off? That the "victim" although "appeared to be not in a panic state actually presses the buttons in the correct direction or even the correct button?

I'll agree with that. In the event of a MAJOR collision in the front of the vehicle,. it can lose all power. Not quite the situation when some one drives into too deep of water.
Thomas Moats wrote:

I don't even know whether Aquarius was in its twelfth moon.
This simpleton will condede the point to your masterful analytical deductions. Your serve.
Sigh.

Regardless, lay on the front bench and kick the window with both feet. Or, for those too wimpy, carry one of those car window hammers that are sold for a couple of bucks at any auto parts store...
Farley @nonymous wrote:

Most power windows underwater require a couple of tries and extended pressure on the swiitch as the contacts aren't as hair-trigger as usual. That news show example they had - the person "tried" the windows and gave up, yet after they dragged it out of the water, the windows worked correctly, even when wet. He just didn't press them long and hard enough.

Most low voltage current works fine underwater. Check out those Junkyard Wars episodes with underwater/water craft. They are running 12 volt car batteries for 10 or more minutes underwater - powering motors and such.

My mother's LeSabre has its battery underneath the rear seats for this reason.
In being of bellicose mind posted:

When any vehicle is submerged, the outside water pressure exerts considerable force against the window to the degree the window will not slide in its tracks. They tell you this in Scandanavian countries ... countries that require "sun roofs" as an ESCAPE hatch from a sinking vehicle. Running off into fjords is most common.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
Philip wrote:

They tried it as well while submerged. Just took a lot longer and went slowly. The problem is, they say, that people panic and try a lot of little things for a split second, thiking they actually tried it for several seconds.