Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 9 of 14
Philip® wrote:

I wasn't passed too much, I do get out of the way when I see someone coming! One of the few that passed me on the return trip ended up rolling several times -- with a fatality. It appeared to be a newer GM minivan - chevy or pontiac, hard to tell after two or three times over.
Dan
Add pictures here
✖
They all tend to look the same after the moulding has been torn off about 150 feet back...

Add pictures here
✖
In

When you're rolling along at 75 mph and see a clump closing ground on you in the rear view, have you ever started speeding up slowly .... enough to where they are no longer closing in on you? ;-) On flat ground, funny how that speed seems to be about 85 mph, no matter where you go.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
Philip® wrote:

It isn't the guy in my mirror that makes my speed creep up. It is my own right foot! |>)) The reason I want cruise control is to keep me from going tooooo faaaaast! My SX 2.0 (neon to you mercans) just loves to entice me into going faster and faster and faster.
If I do see a guy creeping up on my, what I try to do is speed up a bit to find someplace to fit into so neither of us are too inconvenienced. Even at 130ks, I move into the r.h. lane whenever possible. That way, I'm not struggling to get over when I see someone in my mirror.
Dan
Add pictures here
✖
In

Funny you should mention Dodge Neons (indirectly). What is it about those cars that makes people drive them hell bent for leather? Is the thing geared or the engine tuned so that everything comes together at 80 mph?
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖
They're the NA equivalent to the Honda Civic... at least Neon drivers haven't en-masse figured out about glass-pack mufflers, 20" rims with spinners, and 300lb rear spoilers.

Add pictures here
✖
Philip® wrote:

Well, a lot of them are driven by "yoot". A little money goes a long way in terms of hp, looks, ride. As I said, I cruised at 130k, 3,000 rpm, redline is 6,500. So it does "like" to run about 130k. It will happily run faster and is rock-solid up to any speed I am comfortable at.
You know when you've hit the "sweet-spot", where the car just cruises along without real effort, there is still enough grunt to get up most hills without strain, down-hill you can back-off and maintain speed. The "sweet-spot" for this car is around 80mph. 90 is a bit of a scream on the engine for my ears, but given the rpm range, I seriously doubt there is any harm done.
I also had one of the first generation (one of the very early ones off the line) as my primary car. When we had our second parasite we needed a wagon to haul kids, grandpa, luggage around on vacation etc, so we had to get rid of it. I was happy with everything except the paint (which they fixed) and the "multi-function switch" (can anybody make one that works?). It was a little rocket ship too.
Dan
Add pictures here
✖
Average speed on I75 in Florida, 78. Speed limit is 70.

Add pictures here
✖
In

I started to do some research on "mean average" traffic speeds on I-5 between Wheeler Ridge (Grapevine) and Tracy, CA. BUT... I ran across this new article about the Cajon Pass ... that I traverse about every week to 10 days. I can vouch for its accuracy!!
http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/Stories/0,1413,209~22484~1788341,00 .html
With even more DETAIL..... http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2003-May/020753.html
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖

That is I suppose interesting. But it says nothing of the average speed, only that MORE tickets are issued for high speed infractions.

Add pictures here
✖
In

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/Stories/0,1413,209~22484~1788341,00
I-15 decends 2,152' from Cajon Pass summit (elevation 4,257') south 5 miles to Cajon Jct (ele 2,105). For comparison, Florida's highest point in the entire state is a meager 345'. At four lanes wide, people do get carried right along at speed. We have longer and steeper interstate grades elsewhere in CA. >:-)
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖

Still does not say what the actual average speed is. Do you think even the worse "average" driver does not know when they are doing at least 90? Come on, hill or no hill, you know when you are going that fast. Florida is not the only place I have lived or traveled. I lived in Jersey and western NY. I have driven all over PA. Pa has mountains you know. You say the mountains are different on the west coast of the states? Been there as well. I used to vacation in Vail. Want the real info of what the average speed traveled? Go ask the California DOT of California's State Police. Those rags you posted gave you nothing except the fact that more tickets are issued for high speed than in years past.

Add pictures here
✖
In

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/Stories/0,1413,209~22484~1788341,00
Do I THINK the "average driver does not know when they are doing at least 90." ?? If you read the article(s), you would have read that some people just flat out admitted they got caught up in the 85+mph flow and did not realize it. I have noticed that most people stop tailgating you at 85 mph. A few will come around at 90 just to be out in front but .... fall back to 85 again. During the past 5 yrs, I travel out to Victorville and back every 10 days or less .... both sides of Cajon Pass. Been driving rigs over that same area (less frequently) since '88. My own experience supports the observation of increased speeds overall on both downhill sides. If you're REALLY that distrusting of my experience and if "average speeds" really means that much to you then.... find your own link to a recent traffic survey of the area. I don't have to do your busy work. Happy Thanksgiving
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖

✖
<snip>

Guess that's like the "cool and collected" fellow trying to get out of his underwater car.

Something I do not buy. I'm not that gullible.

That's a rarity.

Yup, see that all the time. Happens at just about any speed where more than one vehicle in on the road.

Your idea of "average" is based on a real small sample, not true data. The fact is you said those articles support your "fact" of what the average speed is. Don't like it that I disagree or question you? I couldn't care less.

Add pictures here
✖
In wrote in message

I have not offered my guesstimate for average speeds on this section of interstate. I have also NOT said either article supports any "average" speeds. The obsession with "average" speeds is entirely yours.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖
wrote in message

<snip>
Yes you have, your "guesstimate" is 85. The "articles" you posted? You know the ones you said you found while doing a search on "means average speed"? You clearly said backed you up. "I can vouch for its accuracy!!" The second article you said had even more detail. If you did not mean anything about an average speed, why did you not say so? Why keep posting the reasons of these supposed high speed events? No my friend, you were rather instant on saying how fast people travel on Cajon Pass, you know that stretch of road you "transverse" about every week to 10 days? You know that stretch of highway that you said if people were only doing 130 kmph (80mph) would be impeding traffic?
Add pictures here
✖
In wrote in message

I did NOT identify 85 mph with I-15. That was an example. But I can see how a casual reader could infer such. You did not read "I guess the average speed along that downhill section of interstate is 85 mph." This "average" speed concern is yours, not mine. The careful reader would have noticed that I would vouch for the increasing speeds (though I did not assign a figure) and observing increasing incidents of 100 mph+ traffic in the past few years. I vouch for the accuracy of the articles on those points.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
✖
wrote in message

Nice try. I dont buy it.
Add pictures here
✖
Thomas Moats wrote:

snip
Uh, Thomas. You need to keep your adversaries straight here. I was the "cool and collected" poster.
But, since you brought it up, I had said it was a flooded road in which his vehicle stalled. I'm guessing you assumed it was a fast flowing current. It was not. The fellow was in no real danger unless, perhaps, he was a midget who knew not how to swim. But, what the hell do I know?
Add pictures here
✖