Chev Optra suspension

After a few weeks of driving a 4 door hatchback Optra 5, I've become quite disgruntled with poor road handling, particularly the rear of the car 'bobbing' around on road bumps. It seems there's minimal shock re-boound to
counteract this behaviour, and as more miles are put on the car it appears to be worse.
When negotiating a corner where expansion joints are present on the road, the rear of the car steps out of line! My wife finds this very alarming.
Overall the cars suspension has been designed very soft with low spring rates and soft shocks, unfortunately this impacts on the cars 'mechanical grip' on the road, as it is very 'wallowy' or fidgety if I can use those terms. On wet roads I find front end grip to be quite poor at normal speeds, again I believe this is suspension related and magnified by the cars 'floatiness'.
It seems impossible to locate after market springs and shocks for the Optra, does anyone have any pointers here ?
If other Optra owners have experienced poor road handling and soft suspension behavior I'd be interested to hear your comments.
Cheers
Johnnie

Sounds like it wasn't designed for what you expect. From what you have described I wouldn't like it either. Handling is #1 with me. Upgrading it could be a huge task, that never achieves your objectives.
My suggestion is to do a good test of cars you are interested in, over the same route. Preferably a route you often use. I usually rent a car on my very short list for a few days. Here some more intelligent dealers loan out a test car for 24 hrs.
Johnnie wrote:

Come on! You bought a cheap Korean car and you are worried about it "floating" or "stepping out" over bumps. Get real! Just drive the thing...it's an A to B car.
Ian

Good point, it's just a basic car. I'll bet there are better basic cars though. It pays to look around and try before buying.
Some O wrote:

That's why I included the "Korean" part. Yeah, I'm sure there are many better basic cars. Price is too good on these cars so people buy them.
Ian