epoxy for rearview mirror bracket

Different processes; the two-part epoxy is just that, an epoxy glue & a catalytic hardener. The mirror mount fastening kit is one part etchant to break down the smooth glass surface, and the other part is the actual glue.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Are epoxy glue all the same (and just marketed differently) or are there real property differences. For example the epoxy that they sell at auto stores where you can use to reglue the rearview mirror back to the windshield of the car looks just like epoxy I can get at the dollar store. ie. they give u two tubes (with different colored paste inside) with instructions to mix them together and past onto areas to be glued. Sounds just like ordinary epoxy to me. But they cost u more in kits for glueing rearviewmirrors to the windshield. Can anyone give their take of this?

Reply to
Orc General

I take it you never saw a chemistry book. Epoxies have different strengths, consistencies, and curing times. Try the dollar store brand and see if it works. Lots of luck.

Reply to
Al Bundy

The mirror adhesive is not "epoxy", but some blend of polyurethane and acrylic adhesive. It comes with a primer which will cause it to cure almost immediately and achieve full strength in about 15 minutes. It withstands the UV light, temperature extremes and vibrations and adheres to the glass and metal very well.

The cheap stuff at the dollar store is probably out of date so it will never cure. Also, the stuff will stay liquid for some time so yo will have to sit there and hold the bracket or tape it in place. Lastly, the stuff may not hold as it was not designed for the specific purpose you have in mind.

Reply to
Weird

"Al Bundy" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

I repaired mine with something called "GOOP" from CT. Works wonder!

It's a silicon based glue I beleive.

It's been like this for several years now.

Reply to
Fastload

I have used 4" JBWeld and it lasts for me. I can hold the tab in place until it sets. Goop is a fine product too. Did you use it as a contact cement? That is, did you apply to both surfaces and wait until it got tacky?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Christ sake! spend the few pennies it cost for the real stuff and don't risk having it fall off when you really need it....

Fastload wrote:

I have used 4" JBWeld and it lasts for me. I can hold the tab in place until it sets. Goop is a fine product too. Did you use it as a contact cement? That is, did you apply to both surfaces and wait until it got tacky?

Reply to
Woody

I switched to JB when the so called good stuff failed and that's all I had available. It has not failed yet. My failure mode is when the kid gets out on the driver's side and uses the mirror as a chinning bar.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Pay the $1.50 for the restuff.

Reply to
David DeWitt

"Al Bundy" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Fastload wrote:

I have used 4" JBWeld and it lasts for me. I can hold the tab in place until it sets. Goop is a fine product too. Did you use it as a contact cement? That is, did you apply to both surfaces and wait until it got tacky?

Nope, just put a drop on the metal support, put in place, wait a couple of minutes and let it set for 24 hours...that's it!

The glass shop tried to fix it twice with the so called "special" glue from Lock-Tite, never worked, it did fall off again a the first hot day.

Reply to
Fastload