floor mats for '07-08 (not sure) Impala?

Looks like I'm going to be getting assigned a new work vehicle soon... suspect it will be an '07 or '08 Impala (I know the car, just not sure what year it is. I've driven it briefly before and it's WAAAAAY nicer than the previous version.) This time I'm a little more financially well set than I was when I started my current job, so I'd like to take good care of this one so that I can buy it out when the lease is up because I'm sure my old Porsche will be due for an overhaul by the time I get through another company car, then I'll still have something decent to drive while I'm rehabbing the 944.

1st order of business is floor mats... definitely need some heavy rubber mats to keep the carpet from getting all barfed up. I think we had a thread about this a while back and the initiator of that thread settled on Weathertech; is that the best option? I tried looking on the GM web site for official accessories but all I found was carpeted mats. (I know that the VW ones you buy through the VW dealer are the nicest ones available for those cars, hence my question)

I'm also thinking a steering wheel leather wrap (the steering wheel on my '05 is literally near disintegration after baking out in the sun for going on four years now) and a cargo net for the trunk as well...

Possibly a CM oil filter if I can convince the shop that maintains it to use that instead of their own filters, and maybe I'll offer to pay the difference between the bulk oil they use and Mobil 1... I can see myself paying for transmission and cooling flushes...

anything else I should purchase "up front" for a car that I'd hope should last forever? I'm just trying to get a list together...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do you plan to name the car Vlad? :)

It sounds like a good time to do a Goober search for the mats. I'm sure there's an aftermarket source for the type of mats you need. Also, be very picky about the steering wheel cover...I'm skeptical about the Wally World specials.

Other ideas...stock up on Armor All or similar cleaners for the dash among other locations that collect dust. Also might not hurt to invest in a windshield shade to keep the dash from getting too hot.

Reply to
MLOM

Stainless steel curb feelers, high quality dice for the RV mirror, and maybe a burled maple spinner for the steering wheel to reduce wear on the rim leather. That's just a start, of course. Let me think a while. Oh yeah. One of those wood bead seat covers like taxi drivers use. Give me a while longer while I think. You want engine stuff, like chrome?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I'm partial to Wheelskins myself, but am open to suggestions.

I'm not a big fan of Armor All... my usual cleaning regimen is just warm water with a little Murphy's Oil Soap in it. Dash in the '05 still looks pristine. At least as pristine as a wide expanse of grey plastic can look.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds like your prior experience with the covers and cleaners will serve you well.

Reply to
MLOM

they might be too much of a pain for your usage, but window shades for the windshield and back window keep the interior from taking too much of a beating in the summer.

Reply to
Brent

Armor All is death to plastics. Don't ever use it. I had two dashs crack to hell shortly after starting to use it. I switched to some stuff in a green bottle - 2000 something or other.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If it's going to see a lot of sun get a dash mat and throw a dark towel over the top of the rear seat to protect that area.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

:-)

I bought one of the WW slip-on covers. It's not real pretty and a bit loose, but with power steering that doesn't really matter all that much. The plastic lace-on ones are better, but I can never put those on so the end tucks in properly and I end up fiddling with the loose end at stop lights :-(

I seem to remember reading that Armor-All is actually BAD for plastic, causing to . One thing I DO know: never use it on a motorcycle seat.

Reply to
The Real Bev

That's not a "spinner", it's a Brody knob! What are you, some kind of CHILD?

I'm partial to sheepskin seat covers.

Reply to
The Real Bev

is what I use. (use their productsfor the leather as well)

Reply to
Brent

That name doesn't apply when we're talking about a FWD car, does it? : (

nate

Reply to
N8N

Definitely WeatherTech for mats

used a set this last winter. Also look into Stoner
for window and carpet cleaners. Meguiers
also has some good stuff for interior plastics and tires besides their wax and polish.l

Reply to
why, me

Goatskin? Wool?

Actually, I don't know. Most of my driving has been in RWD cars, wherein acceleration puts traction on the driving wheels. Does braking do the same on FWD? Since I've never done doughnuts either way, I have no feel at all for the difference.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I meant the "brodie knob" since a proper broadslide in a FWD car is somewhat difficult...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

WAY BLAND. Counted 7 sitings of said vehicle within 10 minutes. All gray Still wearing that tired GM bowtie from years past.

This time I'm a little more financially

Reply to
Nick Naim

assigned a new work vehicle soon...

Well, sure it's bland. It's a FWD full-size sedan. However having driven them back to back I stand by my statement that the current body style is a vast improvement over the '05. Way quieter (this is a big deal; the '05 has had a very loud exhaust sound since day one, almost as loud as my 944 but nowhere near as pleasant to listen to,) 3.5 feels much smoother and more powerful than 3.4, newer car has bucket seats with a console instead of miserable bench seats, interior appearance is much less Spartan and rental-car-like, back seat actually folds down, rear seat has real headrests instead of bumps in the foam, car handles better, rides better, etc.

Given that it's a company car, I don't expect it to knock my socks off, merely be acceptable. It's hard to complain about something that's "free" (I know it's not, really) unless it's really, really bad.

nate

Reply to
N8N

F/U: ordered the weathertech "floor liners" and they arrived today... look like they'll work out fine. Not as heavy and grippy as the factory accessory mats from VW (why doesn't GM offer something like this?) but they look like they'll do fine, esp. since they fit the floor, doesn't look like they'll shift around. Have to trim the rear mat where it goes over the hump, it looks like, but I barely had time to vacuum the car and set them in before the shiny thing went down.

Got the steering wheel cover the other day, that was kind of a PITA to install and does look a little bit added on, but my hands are used to leather. The shiny plastic wheel of the '05 was a constant annoyance to me even before it wore out, so I think that getting a leather cover ASAP after getting new car was a good call.

Also had to order a fob and key for the car because I "inherited" it from another employee, who also didn't get it brand new (don't ask me how it worked out this way, it just rolled over 17K miles today) but anyway somewhere along the line one of the keys and fobs either got lost or appropriated by an overzealous fleet manager. Ordered a fob from eBay seller "midwestkeyless" and the key blank from

got the blank cut at a local locksmith and was able to program both myself, total cost FAR less than the close to $200 the dealer wanted for the job (and they said I'd have to have service program them both too.)

So far I'm actually somewhat impressed with the car... found that the "feature" that it has that my '05 didn't that I use the most is in fact the fuel economy feature of the trip computer, followed by the TPMS. Already identified a slow leak in one tire and had it repaired, simply by getting in the habit of checking my tire pressure every morning simply by flipping through the displays. Also I consider myself a fairly economical driver, but I find that I have to be even more careful in this car than in my personal car if I want to achieve anything resembling decent economy... conservation of momentum is key. It'll rack up some pretty impressive mileage figures on the highway - if the display is to be believed, I got close to 30 MPG on the way to work this AM, but I reset it at the gas station I filled up at, right before getting on the highway - but around down driving just destroys the economy. I guess it's probably because it weighs about 2x what my personal car does; accelerating all that mass takes some fuel. Last tank I averaged about 22 MPG overall, but that included a whole mess of around-town driving over the weekend (had to run out several times to get stuff for my kitchen; was rearranging after getting a new fridge etc.) But anyway I find that watching the "average fuel economy" (and to a lesser extent, instantaneous economy) helps one refine one's driving to maximize economy - assuming, of course, that it is accurate (it seems to be.)

I've been running the tires at 35 PSI same as I eventually settled on for my '05... found that the recommended 30 PSI just made the car ride too floaty, poor traction, and lots of squat/dive/etc. A bit jittery at

35 PSI in the '08, I may drop that a few PSI and see what happens.

Well, anyway, that's it for now... other than the tire and needing an alignment no problems as of yet. Hope it stays that way...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Forgot to mention, why would anyone buy a car that's going to visit lots of muddy, dirty job sites and order it with light tan carpets?

...and why, having done so, would they then equip the car with floor mats, ostensibly to protect the carpet from damage, MADE OUT OF LIGHT TAN CARPET?

I don't know why people insist on having carpet in their cars, or worse yet, pickup trucks. I personally am not particularly offended at all by a simple heavy rubber floor liner.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel