fuel gauge not accurate

I HAVE A '99 GMC SIERRA. JUST REPLACED THE SENDING UNIT ON THE FUEL PUMP IN THE GAS TANK AND NOW THE GAS GAUGE IS PEGGED TO THE RIGHT OF "F". WHEN I TURN THE KEY OFF, THE NEEDLE ON THE GAUGE GOES BACK TO
THE "E" POSITION AS NORMAL. ANY IDEAS WHY MY GAUGE IS PEGGED?

Check the ground going to the sending unit.
Also - on some GM's you can (have to) ground the purple wire going to the sending unit quickly to re-sync the gauge. I would not use a direct short but something like a circuit tester light.
Finally - what do you mean by pegged to the right? Some GM gauges will go all the way around such that the needle is at the 6:00 position. If this is the case you have to rotate the needle back around manually. On some models, you can use a straightened out paperclip through the hole where the trip meter or odometer reset is, and gain access to rotate the gauge.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Remember in 99 the fuel level sensor is an input to the PCM. Ground is supplied by the PCM. Showing full indicates one or both circuits open. Check terminal tension at fuel module.