GM Downsizes 100,000 Mile/5 Year Warranty

Page 3 of 4
wrote in message>>

I dont know what the details are, nor what Toyota had recalled.
On a truck that old, suspension and steering components could be worn or damaged. The liability and responsibility need to be established before the noose is tied. If it is Toyota's fault, then go for them.. If it were caused by an "intervening event" (such as improper repair, a damaging accident or similar) then the case may not be so clear.
wrote in message

The article states that Toyota has known about the defective parts since 1996, making the vehicle only 4 or 5 years old. You also keep ignoring my point. When Toyota releases a recall, it is barley noticeable on the news, yet when GM does it, it's on the front page. Not really fair, if you ask me.
wrote in message

Admittedly, recall information should be broadly disseminated, regardless of which entity is envolved.
The car is 18 years old if it is a 1991.
I dont really care who made the car. Apply the law.
wrote in message

Agreed.
Your not reading HLS. The car was 4 or 5 years old when Toyota found out about the problem.

Agreed.

I dont know when Toyota found out there was a problem. It might be relevant legally, but the vehicle - which I suppose has never been modified to relieve the recall - is some 18 years old.
If there were a critical recall, then the owner should have been notified. I dont know who the owner of record is or was. If the car were sold one or more times, I would imagine that the recall is unduly delayed.
I just dont know. None of this should bear any relevance. If the car were faulty, then the present owner should be found and any due remedy should be applied.
wrote in message

With all due respect HLS, did you even read the article? Everything you question is right in it.

On that point I agree entirely. What I was talking about is how Toyota covers up recalls just like you hate GM for.

That is not exactly my feeling for GM. They made a lot of junk -knowingly- and made no attempt to make it good.
wrote in message news:Lp-

The same thing Toyota has done ;)
wrote in message news:Lp-

Uh, not quite.
Really? Does the term "engine sludge" have and meaning to you? ;)

Hey Mike, didn't Chrysler have a problem with engine sludge? The problem with you and the other zealot's argument is most consumers base their opinions on actual experiences they have had with the companies and not outrageous ads such as World Class Engineering or people trying to defend the indefensible.
wrote in message news:Lp-

Of course not, because it's Toyota, and not GM. Open your eyes HLS. Toyota is no better then GM when it comes to hiding problems.
wrote in message news:Lp-

Hiding problems is one thing. Continuing to build cars year after year with the same problems is another. GM didnt try to fix their problems, and their actuarial mathematics probably paid off.
I know of two incidents with Toyota which were definite problems but which they dealt with and fixed.
I can name our traditional list that GM knew about, did not deal with, and refused to fix.
wrote in message news:Lp-

That is my point. Toyota continued to build trucks with that defect for a few years, totaling more then 1 million vehicles with a *known* *safety* defect. GM's 3800 motors had a defect that could cause your wallet pain. This Toyota truck defect caused death's. Which one would you pick? In other words, neither company is better then the other.

If you caught me buying a pickup, you could call the asylum and have me committed. In other words, the truck reference to me has no meaning. I would not buy one in any case.
wrote in message

So, because you wouldn't buy a truck, we should forgive Toyota for the deaths of innocent people? Your hatred knows no bounds, HLS. Why can't you just admit Toyota (in this case) is no better then GM?
wrote in message

A majority of Toyota automobiles ARE better than GMs presentations over the past 3-4 decades.
If Toyota management has done things that have caused loss of lives, then they should be punished severely. People should go to jail.
Same for GM.
I still wouldnt buy a pickup, Knight. I now use my FILs Sonoma.. What a piece of shit that is!
Have you notice, that according to the newest EPA CAFE Guide, how the GM haters are ignoring the fact GM new models are all getting better fuel mileage than any of the imports competitive models? ;)
wrote:

Warrantyhttp://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-downsizes-100000-mile5-year-warra ...
Funny thing here. One of Huggies' supporters recently replied to one of my posts that Jimbo only posts GM news articles that "concerns him."
I noticed that when GM ORIGINALLY IMPEMENTED the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, Huggins DIDN'T POST ANYTHING about it!!!!!!!
No mention about it at all!!!!!!
Guess it didn't "concern him."
Probably wasn't newsworthy.
Or maybe, James simply forgot to post anything about it!!!!!
Then someone please explain to me why Jimmy suddenly is "concerned" enough about GM simply putting their warranty back to where every other auto manufacturer has theirs to begin with?????

Mike, that is really old news, but if GM bashers won't admit that TODAYS GM cars get better gas milage than their Japanese counterparts, then they sure wont admit that GM cars made 15-20 years ago were as fuel efficent as similar Japanese cars were back then. A Chevy Lumina or Pontiac Grand Prix equipped with a 3.1 V-6 engine could easily hit 30 mph highway way back in the early 90's. Whatever brand that Toyota had back then (I guess it was a Camry) could do no better, and probably had a four banger in most of its engines to boot.
To most of us who know cars a little this info is not shocking, but to uniformed John Q. Public, it might come as a surprise. Consumer Reports, USA Today, or 60 minutes somehow never reported such things way back then, and they continue to NOT report such things today.

Mike, that is really old news, but if GM bashers won't admit that TODAYS GM cars get better gas milage than their Japanese counterparts, then they sure wont admit that GM cars made 15-20 years ago were as fuel efficent as similar Japanese cars were back then. A Chevy Lumina or Pontiac Grand Prix equipped with a 3.1 V-6 engine could easily hit 30 mph highway way back in the early 90's. Whatever brand that Toyota had back then (I guess it was a Camry) could do no better, and probably had a four banger in most of its engines to boot. ==================================================*The Lumina's had excellent fuel mileage with the 3.1, as did the 6000's and Celebrities with the 2.8. GM had a huge advantage with the 3800 II as well. That motor would give out 32-33 MPG, while still having over 205 horses. *Also, add to that the 3800 II's were usually in the heaver cars (Bonneville's, Grand Prix's, Regal's, LaSabres, etc.). Even my '97 Bonnie with the supercharged 240 horsepower 3800 II gets almost 30 MPG, and she has almost *300,000 KMS on the original motor and transmission.
To most of us who know cars a little this info is not shocking, but to uniformed John Q. Public, it might come as a surprise. Consumer Reports, USA Today, or 60 minutes somehow never reported such things way back then, and they continue to NOT report such things today. ===================================================*Therein lies part of the problem. A the moment, GM produces more fuel efficient vehicles then any other auto maker, but does the news care? Nope. Same applies when Toyota or another Japanese company has a recall (either *major or minor). The news may throw it in in a 2 second notice, but if GM so much as has a problem with interior lighting, it's front-page news. Living in GM country, near one of GM's most honored plants, I obviously like GM. *The difference between me and some others is I can admit when GM screws up, which they have at times. Problem is, like I said, when Toyota does it, its no big deal, and when GM does it, it's huge. One of the best articles I read *a couple of years ago was talking about recalls. It said when Toyota makes a recall (which are usually forced, regardless of what Toyota says) they are praised by the media as "doing the right thing, for the customer". However, if *GM were to recall the exact same part in one of there vehicles (say a power window motor), GM is "continuing to build shitty vehicles". There are far too many people out there who need to read some cold hard facts before *spouting the BS that the Japan PR machine gives them.