GM Downsizes 100,000 Mile/5 Year Warranty

They will go broke if they don't have loopholes. Or fix their insatiable transmission issues.

Reply to
Canuck57

Well, let's say I put a lot of weight behind what the maker says they do for warranty...

Reply to
PeterD

First, you are more likely to need it, historically that is.

Second, Toyota standard is 100,000/36 months. Superior to GMs new warranty.

And third, this assumes GM isn't bankrupt again inside of 3 years.

And the only way GM could borrow money to back their losses and stay in businesses would be to sell assets and lease it back. As their credit rating is negative zero and only a crazy idiot would trust that GM is even capable, much less willing to ever pay it back. Only fools lend money to welchers.

Reply to
Canuck57

I don't agree with Ed in the slightest (about the product not lasting long), but I'm the biggest GM fan I know, and even I think this is pure bullshit. Just another way to save $$$.

Reply to
80 Knight

It may come back and bite them too, but that can take a couple of years. Sure, the customer is supposed to read the fine print, but the sales gimmick is to give the "peace of mind" that you have 100,000miles coverage. Most people are not familiar with the parts listed anyway so even a lawyer would not know how secure he is or is not. When you go to the dealer and find that a specific item is no longer covered and the repair is $1200, the bad publicity may be just horrid.

That said, for the most part, the drive train is pretty solid and will probably last that long. It is all the peripheral stuff that starts to fall apart in my experience. I've never had a GM engine (including a Corvair) that did not make the 100k mark.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is jut to the right of where the mattress brand comparison chart is.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Appears you are wrong, AGAIN, GM warranty is two years longer than Toyotas warranty

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In the words of the Immortal Bugs Bunny "What a maroon!"

Reply to
Jim Higgins

A cookie? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Touche'

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Funny thing here. One of Huggies' supporters recently replied to one of my posts that Jimbo only posts GM news articles that "concerns him."

I noticed that when GM ORIGINALLY IMPEMENTED the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, Huggins DIDN'T POST ANYTHING about it!!!!!!!

No mention about it at all!!!!!!

Guess it didn't "concern him."

Probably wasn't newsworthy.

Or maybe, James simply forgot to post anything about it!!!!!

Then someone please explain to me why Jimmy suddenly is "concerned" enough about GM simply putting their warranty back to where every other auto manufacturer has theirs to begin with?????

Reply to
jr92

When would that have been? IIRC, it was maybe 3 or 4 years ago? Remembering what an individual did not post back then takes a lot of good memory. I'm impressed. Do you have the date (+/- a week is OK) it should have been posted so we can go back and check?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The 100,000 mile warranty was only if effect for a couple of years.

Jimbo wasnt even around these parts four years ago.

During the time he HAS been here, there have been NO postive news articles about GM posted by him, only negative, and occasionlly positive ones about the likes of Toyota..

And finally, how in the hell do you or I or anyone else, have a date that Jimmy DID NOT POST an article about the warranty?????? If it aint there to begin with, you aint gonna find it by "going back and checking."

Reply to
jr92

Have you notice, that according to the newest EPA CAFE Guide, how the GM haters are ignoring the fact GM new models are all getting better fuel mileage than any of the imports competitive models? ;)

Warranty

Funny thing here. One of Huggies' supporters recently replied to one of my posts that Jimbo only posts GM news articles that "concerns him."

I noticed that when GM ORIGINALLY IMPEMENTED the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, Huggins DIDN'T POST ANYTHING about it!!!!!!!

No mention about it at all!!!!!!

Guess it didn't "concern him."

Probably wasn't newsworthy.

Or maybe, James simply forgot to post anything about it!!!!!

Then someone please explain to me why Jimmy suddenly is "concerned" enough about GM simply putting their warranty back to where every other auto manufacturer has theirs to begin with?????

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The new GM warranties still better than the warranties offered by Toyota and Honda

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, that is really old news, but if GM bashers won't admit that TODAYS GM cars get better gas milage than their Japanese counterparts, then they sure wont admit that GM cars made 15-20 years ago were as fuel efficent as similar Japanese cars were back then. A Chevy Lumina or Pontiac Grand Prix equipped with a 3.1 V-6 engine could easily hit

30 mph highway way back in the early 90's. Whatever brand that Toyota had back then (I guess it was a Camry) could do no better, and probably had a four banger in most of its engines to boot.

To most of us who know cars a little this info is not shocking, but to uniformed John Q. Public, it might come as a surprise. Consumer Reports, USA Today, or 60 minutes somehow never reported such things way back then, and they continue to NOT report such things today.

Reply to
jr92

Yeah, with the huge costs of Toyota recalls over the past five years (Does anyone have numbers that show how many RECALLS The Big T has made in relation to their total number of SALES over the past five years?????? Or how may recalls they have made compared to GM over the same period???) They probably cant afford to give a great warranty, even with their Japanese Government-paid subsidies. They are losing money hand-over-foot these days, and it is suddenly harder for the "T " supporters to make fun of GM and it's financial problems.

No matter how big you are, you can't suffer billion dollar losses per quarter for very long. Just ask GM.

Reply to
jr92

30 mph highway way back in the early 90's. Whatever brand that Toyota had back then (I guess it was a Camry) could do no better, and probably had a four banger in most of its engines to boot. =================================================== *The Lumina's had excellent fuel mileage with the 3.1, as did the 6000's and Celebrities with the 2.8. GM had a huge advantage with the 3800 II as well. That motor would give out 32-33 MPG, while still having over 205 horses. *Also, add to that the 3800 II's were usually in the heaver cars (Bonneville's, Grand Prix's, Regal's, LaSabres, etc.). Even my '97 Bonnie with the supercharged 240 horsepower 3800 II gets almost 30 MPG, and she has almost *300,000 KMS on the original motor and transmission.

To most of us who know cars a little this info is not shocking, but to uniformed John Q. Public, it might come as a surprise. Consumer Reports, USA Today, or 60 minutes somehow never reported such things way back then, and they continue to NOT report such things today. ====================================================

*Therein lies part of the problem. A the moment, GM produces more fuel efficient vehicles then any other auto maker, but does the news care? Nope. Same applies when Toyota or another Japanese company has a recall (either *major or minor). The news may throw it in in a 2 second notice, but if GM so much as has a problem with interior lighting, it's front-page news. Living in GM country, near one of GM's most honored plants, I obviously like GM. *The difference between me and some others is I can admit when GM screws up, which they have at times. Problem is, like I said, when Toyota does it, its no big deal, and when GM does it, it's huge. One of the best articles I read *a couple of years ago was talking about recalls. It said when Toyota makes a recall (which are usually forced, regardless of what Toyota says) they are praised by the media as "doing the right thing, for the customer". However, if *GM were to recall the exact same part in one of there vehicles (say a power window motor), GM is "continuing to build shitty vehicles". There are far too many people out there who need to read some cold hard facts before *spouting the BS that the Japan PR machine gives them.
Reply to
80 Knight

Yeah, with the huge costs of Toyota recalls over the past five years (Does anyone have numbers that show how many RECALLS The Big T has made in relation to their total number of SALES over the past five years?????? Or how may recalls they have made compared to GM over the same period???) They probably cant afford to give a great warranty, even with their Japanese Government-paid subsidies. ====================================================

Toyota has so many recalls, it's difficult to compile a list of all of them. Here is an interesting one, though. I have been arguing with HLS about GM's stance on the gasket problems in the 3800 motors for quite some time, and though I totally agree GM should've done something about it, here we have something more interesting.

"Levi Stewart lost his life after the steering relay rod on his 1991 Toyota pickup snapped, causing the truck to roll. Officials labeled the accident alcohol-related due to the fact the teenager had a blood-alcohol level of .03 (legal limit for adults in his state over the age of 21 is .08), but that was before anyone involved with the investigation knew of a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall. The relay rod, which connects the steering wheel to the front tires, had been under recall since 2005, but neither the truck owner or the previous owner had been notified of the defect.

Lawyers for the Stewart family are accusing Toyota of both delaying and improperly distributing the recall notice, which affected 1 million trucks and SUVs. The lawyers contend they have evidence that Toyota has known about the problem since as early as 1996, yet the recall didn't begin until 2005. Toyota actually started the recall in Japan a year earlier, and Toyota waited a full year before starting the recall action in the U.S. The reason Toyota has stated for the delay was that driving conditions were different in Japan, and that there were no incidents reported in the U.S. Japanese media told NBC that it knew of 80 incidents in Japan. Hit the jump to view NBC's investigational video.

So, here we have Toyota covering up a *safety* recall for almost 10 years. A recall that has cost lives both in North America, and Japan. *This* is the kind of thing that gets swept under the carpet when talking about the Mighty Toyota. And that isn't right.

80 Knight

M warranties still better than the warranties offered by Toyota

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D

Interesting.

And amazing.

Never read anything about that before in this group. (Or Toyota's, for that matter).

Wonder why????

Come to think about it, I never saw anything about this in USA Today,

60 minutes, or Consumer Reports, either.

Wonder why?????

Reply to
jr92