Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Hi there. I have a 95 Lumnia 3.1 There's a sensor that plugs into that plastic piece that fits over my air filter...I think it's the mass air flow sensor. Well neways, sometimes I get a rough idle, a rough
and somewhat slowed initial acceleration, and pungent exaust...then sometimes I fiddle witht that sensor, and it goes away. So I'm thinking I need a new sensor...so, if that is the case, then I have a couple of questions. How much will it cost to go to a repair shop and get it replaced? Can I do it myself? Is there something I might want to try...some special method of "fiddling" to get this to work right? Ohh, and what if I wait to fix the sensor and I take an eight hour trip up north? Will I be hurting my car?
s.
You are guessing here without a scan to check these sensors, maf or iat, hard to tell by your description and no you shouldn't drive till it is repaired you could damage the cat if it is too rich.

-
Shep wrote:

Hi...
Not to mention that he might save enough in fuel consumption on his 8 hour trip to pay for a maf, or at least some of it, if he installs it himself.
Ken

the thing hasn't thrown a code...so, how does this work? should it be throwing a code? or if it's not throwing a code, can they plug the scanner in anyways and see what the air flow sensor is reading and see if it's the right reading?
do u guys think I could install this myself? how much are we lookin at either way?
s.
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Disconnect it and see if it actually runs better at low speeds. A properly done scan usually will pick up a skewed maf. see this link.http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0e/d1/87/0900823d800ed187.jsp

-
yea, I disconnected it and it actually ran better...though it ran the same idled.
s.